Windows 11 Sandbox does not open File Explorer after a Windows update

Anonymous
2023-10-16T22:33:15+00:00

Hi all,

I have Windows 11 Pro with Sandbox enabled, it worked flawlessly. I didn't use it for a few months, and now the File Explorer inside the Sandbox is crashing.

If I open it from the start menu, or if I press the right button on the desktop or on a file or directory, it turns the screen black for a second or two, and then doesn't do anything (it probably crashes).

This behavior happens only inside the Sandbox (my system is working properly), and I didn't install or remove anything from the system, just did the proposed Windows updates (I now have version 10.2.22621 build 22621).

I can use the command line, and it appears that the file system is intact, I can create, read and write directories and files.

Sandbox is a limited environment, and everything I tried to understand what was going wrong failed. I tried several times to remove the sandbox and perform a clean installation, even manually deleting the image files, but that behavior didn't change.

Do you have any suggestion?

Thank you

Duccio

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-11-06T19:15:28+00:00

It is ultimately just a workaround, but it works for me:
Create a text file that you rename to sandbox.wsb afterwards.
The content of the file must contain the following:

<Configuration>
<MappedFolders>
<MappedFolder>
<HostFolder>C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.WindowsAppRuntime.CBS_8wekyb3d8bbwe</HostFolder>
<SandboxFolder>C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.WindowsAppRuntime.CBS_8wekyb3d8bbwe</SandboxFolder>
<ReadOnly>true</ReadOnly>
</MappedFolder>
</MappedFolders>
</Configuration>

If I start the sandbox with this file, the Explorer also works.

Good luck

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-11-06T19:35:32+00:00

    Dietmar,

    Great stuff. The sandbox.wsb file actually works!

    Thanks,

    Alan

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-11-06T18:06:43+00:00

    Same problem here...

    It worked just fine and after some time (after an update I think) when I open the explorer in the sandboxed windows it crashes and restart again with no windows of the explorer open in the screen (the process explorer.exe restart itself)

    I just reinstall my windows host OS, from an ISO file, in a new clear partition, and a clear install... and just have the same problem. I thinks maybe it has to be something with a conflict between an update and maybe one driver, hardware component or something. I don't have the chance to try it in other hardware then is just a guess.

    Windows version in the sandbox: 10.0.22621.2506

    Windows version in the host system 10.0.22631.2506

    Hardware is an Asus Rog nvidia gpu intel cpu laptop

    The forum in spanish haven't the issue published, knowing that pardon my english I am not a native english speaker.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-11-02T16:18:07+00:00

    Ciao

    Ho risolto il problema:

    1 - scaricare iso Windows 11 versione 23h2 - 22631.2506

    2 - installare Windows mantenendo i files e le app

    3- da windows update scaricare 2010-03 Aggiornamento comulativo per

    Windows 11 versione 23h2 per sistemi basati su x64 (kb5031455)
    

    Non scaricare la versione kb5031455 windows 11 versione 22h2

    Come detto sopra il problema si è risolto.

    Buona giornata

    Alfredo

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-11-02T08:14:06+00:00

    I use Windows 11 23H2 as host system. I noticed that the Windows version in the sandbox is 22H2. I do not know if it has to do with the problem. I also do not know how to update the version in the sanbox to the current version.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments