Windows 11, copying files between hard drives painfully slow

Anonymous
2023-11-07T14:37:48+00:00

Has anyone else experiencing extremely long times for copying one hard drive to another?

I'm trying to copy all the files from a standard 3.5" hard drive to an SSD.

It's almost 1TB of data but the speeds continuosly drop to less than 1MB/s when in safe mode, as running the PC in it's normal mode stalled the copying process with it showing 0KB/s.

I am on the latest version of Windows and with the newest updates with the apparent bug fix.

I am on day 3 of copying these files.

I have tried all the "fixes" that show up on Google and both hard drives have "full control" by myself/all users.

Hoping someone can help.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-05-16T18:08:08+00:00

    I assume O365 is not installed?

    0365?
    What's an 0365?
    Can be ANYTHING.

    If you respond, PLEASE make it clear, as to what you are on about?
    Since, trying to Google that ... I had billions of sites, ranging from phone numbers to version numbers of everything.

    Why do people never be clear?
    It's not hard to do?

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-11-10T13:37:14+00:00

    Thanks for the suggestions.

    I have gone the Robocopy route. And while it is still very slow, I can actually see what the progress is in terms what's being copied across.

    Thanks again

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-08-25T23:01:45+00:00

    Trust me, I had to go from Windows 10 to Windows 11, I have two very powerful notebooks, I mean VERY POWERFUL, latest generation I9, 128 giga ram, 4090 nvidia, the fastest SSDs, and windows 11 turns the fastest notebooks on the market into slow machines, with glitches and many problems. That's what monopolies do. And yes, I copypasted 15 mega and it took 5 minutes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-04-22T08:35:02+00:00

    My ten year old Windows7 laptop copied x10 faster than my new windows11! (both i5)
    The W7 crashed 2 times in ten years and run five apps and 15tabs simultaneously! the W11 can barely start without glitching.
    NOT to mention the horendous right click (that needs five more clicks to do what I previously did with one click; same with start button.
    And that monstrous music player :( not animation, no side view of playlist, and hiden soundbar that I have to click... to open... to change volume!!! :(((
    Windows 7 was the pinacle of OS!

    For the question I read somewere that when copying, W11 is ALL the time searching ALL the files, EVERY file(!!!) before copying for avoiding double copying or something... that is why it takes 12minutes for a 10GB folder to copy.

    I repeat, my ten year old W7 did the same in 2minutes or less with not one mistake ever! It was flawless! (WHY change it??)

    And W7 run on HDD!!! when the new W11 runs SSD!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-04-02T00:26:30+00:00

    I have a similar issue. I am trying to copy a large PC OneDrive folder (165 GB) to an external hard drive (Windows 11)

    There doesn't seem to be a hardware problem. Some folders (also large =< 80 GB) copy to the external hard drive in a reasonable amount of time. The 165 GB folder seems frozen: No advancement shows up.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments