(Solved) Internet stopped working after windows update

Anonymous
2023-12-08T11:18:07+00:00

Hi everyone,

I installed a Windows update last night and my internet has stopped working ever since. The WiFi network shows as 'connected' and it works fine on my phone but nothing on my computer (I tried different browsers). I tried uninstalling the update and pausing Windows Update to stop it from reinstalling it but it still won't work. No internet either when I use my phone as hotspot.

The update I installed is: Windows 11 version 23H2 for systems x64 (KB5032288).

I would appreciate any support, thanks.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
David-M 127.1K Reputation points Independent Advisor
2023-12-09T12:41:10+00:00

Yes. It was probably the VPN that caused the issue.

If it happens again, make sure your VPN is up to date. And if it happens again, even after updating, consult the Psiphon developer.

Was this answer helpful?

4 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-07-27T23:32:46+00:00

    This did not help my lenovo ideapad 3. I followed every step but it still says no internet, secured. I know it's not the wifi service because it just got replaced and everything else works.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-02-21T12:24:40+00:00

    I finally did a system restore to a previous state. Ridiculous.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. David-M 127.1K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2023-12-08T20:40:50+00:00

    Thanks for the screenshot.

    The result of the command confirms that your system has access to the internet. Apparently, only some applications are unable to communicate with the internet.

    You are using Wi-Fi, right?

    Do you have a VPN client installed on your system?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. David-M 127.1K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2023-12-08T18:31:37+00:00

    From all the information you shared, Windows can connect to the internet. I believe that only some applications are unable to connect to the internet. The Signal app may be able to connect to the internet, which is why it is still displaying notifications.

    Perform the test below and send a screenshot of the result.

    1. Open Start and type cmd, right-click on "Command Prompt", and select "Run as administrator".
    2. Type the command below and press Enter.

    ping 8.8.8.8

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments