It's not entirely clear from your message if you think I work for Microsoft, but for the record, I do not. I'm just another user trying to help. The most recent woes with file dates were in regards to KB5039212. After that update there were more scenarios where the modified date changed. The solution most often cited was to add the server involved to the local intranet zone. The only other suggestion I had was to install TeraCopy because it preserves files dates by default. It also integrates into Explorer so you won't have to worry about forgetting to use it.
File explorer and date created/modified change when copying files/folders.
Dear Microsoft Wizards,
I come to you with a tale of woe, a saga of time-displaced files and folders that have lost their way in the temporal vortex of Windows File Explorer. In an age where we can chat with AI, drive electric chariots, and binge-watch shows about dragons and spaceships, I find myself anchored to a mundane reality. In reality, copying files and folders in Windows File Explorer betrays their original timestamps, casting them adrift in the present, forgetting their noble past.
Imagine a world where one could copy a file or folder without the cruel hands of the present altering their date and time stamps. A world where digital artifacts remain untouched by the ravages of time, preserving their history as meticulously as a museum curator with a penchant for organization and accuracy.
"Why not use robocopy or other command prompt utilities?" I hear you ask, your voices echoing through the hallowed halls of Redmond. Ah, but here lies the rub! While these tools are mighty in their own right, they demand a saint's patience and a wizard's expertise. Delving into the command prompt is akin to stepping into an ancient crypt inscribed with arcane commands and cryptic parameters. It is a thrilling adventure for the occasional file or two, perhaps, but Herculean labor when faced with the task of preserving the timestamps of hundreds, nay, thousands of files and folders.
So, I pray that you, the noble scribes and engineers of Microsoft, bestow upon us, the humble users, a magical feature within the Windows File Explorer itself. A feature that allows us to copy our digital treasures while keeping their temporal essence intact – no spells, no incantations, and indeed no command line rituals required.
In this quest for temporal fidelity, I stand ready to champion this cause, armed with nothing but my wit and a profound desire for user-friendly file management. Together, let us forge a new path through the annals of digital file preservation, ensuring that our files and folders may travel through the vast expanse of directories without losing sight of their origins.
Yours in time-traveling solidarity,
Luis Martinez
******@outlook.com
P.S. If this feature comes to pass, future generations will look back on this moment as a turning point in history – the day we let our files journey through time, unaltered and proud, their timestamps shining like beacons of their actual age.
Windows for home | Windows 11 | Files, folders, and storage
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
53 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2025-01-14T01:33:40+00:00 Modified time changes by 1-2 seconds when moving files between two external ExFAT drives. Created time is preserved.
Curiously, when I move from Desktop to my external drive, Modified and Created times are preserved.
When I move from the external drive to Desktop, then Modified time is preserved but Created time is updated to current time.
How can I ensure both Created and Modified times are exactly preserved?
I have tried both drag-and-drop in File Explorer and robocopy in Command Prompt.
-
Anonymous
2024-08-23T13:47:33+00:00 Is there a plan to address this in a future update? I work for a company that provides software to hospitals, and this issue prevents our software from running. It's a client-server application that relies on the LastWriteTime time stamp to keep files in sync between the client and server. The workarounds provided in the replies may provide temporary relief, but implementing them puts a burden on our customers' IT departments.
-
Anonymous
2024-08-20T10:05:33+00:00 Same problem here. Started recently after a Windows 11 update.
The modification time only changes when I copy form my smb NAS, not to it.
Thank you. Your solution works, but not with the IP address but with the server name, that I am using to connect the network drive.
I describe the problem and solution at:
-
Anonymous
2024-08-03T19:58:30+00:00 That worked. Thanks!!!