File Explorer keeps going to Desktop

Anonymous
2024-03-25T17:19:20+00:00

When I browse and view files, File Explorer keeps going to Desktop by itself. It is easy to correct this by simply clicking the back button (<-). I would not mind if this happens once in a while, but it happens almost constantly, so it is a major nuisance.

For example, suppose that I am looking at pictures in folder E:\Pictures\2024\Events\foo, open a picture with Photos, and use it to navigate to different photos, then File Explorer will suddenly jump to Desktop. This is almost 100% reproducible. I will have to click the back button to get back to E:\Pictures\2024\Events\foo.

Could anyone offer a remedy for this?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-04-13T01:44:49+00:00

    Hi, hipswich

    Welcome to Microsoft Community.

    We understand that you are only experiencing this issue when opening the Photos folder and our tests have not been able to reproduce the issue, so it is possible that this is a bug in File Explorer, you can submit this issue and your ideas and suggestions through the Feedback Hub, and the development team will regularly review submissions for ideas or fixes.  Please share the feedback link here after submitting as it will allow others on the forum to vote for your submission, including me. More votes will lead to more visibility and higher priority to the development team.

    Sincerely

    Nicholas | Microsoft Community Support Specialist

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-04-11T23:24:09+00:00

    I have tried non-photo folders but have not been able to reproduce this issue. I will report back if this happens to a non-photo folder or opening a non-photo file.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-04-08T02:34:11+00:00

    Hi, hipswich

    Welcome to Microsoft Community.

    May I ask if you are only experiencing the problem when viewing photos?

    Sincerely

    Nicholas | Microsoft Community Support Specialist

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-04-07T19:02:13+00:00

    I have finally found at least one event that triggers this: double-clicking a photo.

    File Explorer has two tabs both of which have many pictures (I do not know if image files are the prerequisite for this issue) as follows:

    When I double-click a photo file, sometimes one tab goes to Desktop and sometimes both go to Desktop. It is not 100% reproducible. The folders do not change (i.e., behave normally) most of the time when I double-click a file.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-04-07T14:54:03+00:00

    I have finally followed the instructions to disable all non-Microsoft services and all startup applications, then restart the PC. It makes no difference. File Explorer still goes back to Desktop by itself. It does not happen immediately and I cannot figure out exactly what triggers it. It goes back usually when I browse photos but I am not 100% sure about this link. The following is just one example of how it happens.

    1. Open a picture directory.
    2. Click a photo to view it.
    3. Click the right arrow or left arrow to move among photos.
    4. Suddenly File Explorer goes back to Desktop.

    Again, I am not 100% sure browsing photos has anything to do with it. It could be a coincidence.

    I will enable all the disabled services and apps in an hour or two to resume my work on this PC.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments