Windows 11, forgot pin and can't use other sign in options

Anonymous
2024-04-13T04:40:49+00:00

I tried logging in with my fingerprint but some reason it didn't work and then said needs pin to sign in, I can't log in to my laptop at all, I forgot my pin and I unfortunately don't have my pin with me to type it out ( I usually have my passwords and pins written down somewhere incase I forget). It doesn't have the "I forgot my pin" option at all and tried disabling the secure boot option in BIOS, didn't do anything. I tried holding down shift+ restart to try entering to safe mode, did not work. I do not want to reset my laptop to lose all of my stuff and I'm at my wits end with this, how do I solve this?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Accounts, profiles, and login

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-07-08T23:57:50+00:00

    I forgot my password, and I was okay with that because i was using my fingerprint and face ID to unlock my laptop. I also had a PIN that i changed to new one yesterday and when I tried to sign in after changing PIN it says “Something happened and your PIN isn’t available. Click to set up your PIN again.” and then when i click to set up my PIN nothing shows up, it’s like that button is not working. I cant sign in with my face ID or fingerprint because it says that PIN is required. I tried with this metod with Repair stuff and when I come to the part where I need to click Command Prompt its show up screen where I need to log in with user and i forgot the password. What can I do without losing my data?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-07-10T00:06:21+00:00

    After step number 6, how do you log into a new account?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-07-17T13:50:47+00:00

    Hi Martin,

    When I try to reboot in command promt it still asks for the admin PIN and because of a policy it doesn't allow non admin users to acces de cmd. This doesn't work for me. Is there a way to force entering the admin password?

    Best regards,

    Rienk

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-07-17T16:42:46+00:00

    I cannot follow the instructions as provided in the first answer to the question, I cannot login, forgotten my PIN and have no other way to login. My fingerprint scanner sometimes doesn't recognize my finger print. Anyway, the issue is when I try to reboot to the Windows logo and hold the power button down, the logo doesn't appear and I am at the same login prompt screen. Help.

    I will need to change the PIN and reset the fingerprint ID once I am back in. Please help me to first get back in.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-08-11T20:34:26+00:00

    This is totally unclear to me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments