Windows 11, forgot pin and can't use other sign in options

Anonymous
2024-04-13T04:40:49+00:00

I tried logging in with my fingerprint but some reason it didn't work and then said needs pin to sign in, I can't log in to my laptop at all, I forgot my pin and I unfortunately don't have my pin with me to type it out ( I usually have my passwords and pins written down somewhere incase I forget). It doesn't have the "I forgot my pin" option at all and tried disabling the secure boot option in BIOS, didn't do anything. I tried holding down shift+ restart to try entering to safe mode, did not work. I do not want to reset my laptop to lose all of my stuff and I'm at my wits end with this, how do I solve this?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Accounts, profiles, and login

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-04-23T14:53:43+00:00

    I cannot log on

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-04-24T11:06:01+00:00

    I have done till 7th step. But it did not asked to reset my original account pin. It created new user name account. And i can only login that one but nothing inside. I i should write the commands on number 8? And how to do that?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-06-08T19:10:32+00:00

    When I restart my computer my whole computer goes dark. Blinks the intro screen with the nice wallpaper and then turns off and then blinks on to the nice wallpaper. No matter how long I click on the side power button it will not take me to the Automatic Repair Environment.

    I am already locked out of my account for 2 hours. Should I try this after my 2 hours?

    Hi, Kareena Chin wing

    Welcome to the Microsoft Community.

    If you're unable to log into your Windows 11 computer because you've forgotten your PIN and can't use other sign-in options like fingerprint, here are some steps you can try to regain access without resetting your laptop:

    1. Boot into Advanced Boot Options:  Restart your computer and as soon as the Windows logo appears, press and hold the power button to force a shutdown. Repeat this process twice. On the third start, Windows should enter the Automatic Repair environment.
    2. From there, navigate to "Troubleshoot" > "Advanced options" > Command Prompt. This will open the Command Prompt before booting into Windows.
    3. Replace the Utility Manager with the Command Prompt: At the Command Prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command:
       c:
       cd windows\system32
       ren utilman.exe utilman.exe.bak
       copy cmd.exe utilman.exe
      
      This will replace the utility manager on the login screen with the command prompt.
    4. Type and press Enter to restart your computer.wpeutil reboot
    5. On the login screen, click on the Utility Manager icon, which should now open the Command Prompt.
    6. At the Command Prompt, type this command and press Enter:
       net user /add [username] [password]
       net localgroup administrators [username] /add
      
      Replace and with the desired username and password. This will create a new administrator account.[username][password]
    7. You can now log in to this new account, which should have admin permissions and allow you to reset your original account's PIN or password.
    8. Run the following command:
       takeown /f %windir%\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\NGC /r /d y
       icacls %windir%\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\NGC /grant administrators:F /t
      
    9. Navigate to the path below and delete the entire contents of this folder:
       C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\NGC
      
    10. Try logging in and resetting the PIN of the previous account.

    If there is anything not clear, please do not hesitate to let me know.

    Best Regards

    Martin | Microsoft Community Support Specialist

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-06-14T17:09:48+00:00

    Hi,

    I have the same problem. I am running Windows 11 on a Dell Desktop. I purchased it in 2021. Windows is updated. My only access is through a PIN. After a recent reboot, my normal login screen changed and I received the same message as above: "Something has happened and your PIN isn't available. Click to set up your PIN again."

    When I click sometimes the screen refreshes to the same thing and sometimes I get a text box that wants me to search for the app in the Store. I click that and the same screen comes back.

    I am also receiving an error message text box:

    explorer.exe - System Error

    The system has detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in

    this application. This overrun could potentially allow a malicious user

    to gain control of this application.

    I tried to follow the steps as outlined above, but could only get to the command prompt by rebooting, holding down the shift key (the Dell logo comes up) and then accessing "Troubleshoot" > "Advanced options" > "Command Prompt". as per above.

    My prompt when this happened was X:\Windows\System32

    I changed to C: and then used cd to get to C:\Windows\System32

    I then followed the steps above in #3 and #4 above, but the reboot didn't change anything. The same screen came up.\

    Now I can no longer access the Advanced Options when rebooting using the SHIFT key so I am locked out of the system.

    Any help?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-06-23T20:44:08+00:00

    Forgot pin and I didn't set up a USB to reset my pin I don't have access to my laptop because I forgot my pin to unlock computer

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments