I have done upto 4th step but after the reboot, I do not find the utility manager icon, how do I proceed?
Windows 11, forgot pin and can't use other sign in options
I tried logging in with my fingerprint but some reason it didn't work and then said needs pin to sign in, I can't log in to my laptop at all, I forgot my pin and I unfortunately don't have my pin with me to type it out ( I usually have my passwords and pins written down somewhere incase I forget). It doesn't have the "I forgot my pin" option at all and tried disabling the secure boot option in BIOS, didn't do anything. I tried holding down shift+ restart to try entering to safe mode, did not work. I do not want to reset my laptop to lose all of my stuff and I'm at my wits end with this, how do I solve this?
Windows for home | Windows 11 | Accounts, profiles, and login
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
48 answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2024-07-05T01:25:16+00:00 -
Anonymous
2024-07-04T02:35:26+00:00 I tried this and could not get it to work
is there another way
-
Anonymous
2024-06-26T18:29:27+00:00 the whole process is retarded it wont allow you to reenter your proposed pin number your trying to make things secure but refuse to allow it to happen ?????????I question the purpose of it all
-
Anonymous
2024-06-23T20:44:08+00:00 Forgot pin and I didn't set up a USB to reset my pin I don't have access to my laptop because I forgot my pin to unlock computer
-
Anonymous
2024-06-14T17:09:48+00:00 Hi,
I have the same problem. I am running Windows 11 on a Dell Desktop. I purchased it in 2021. Windows is updated. My only access is through a PIN. After a recent reboot, my normal login screen changed and I received the same message as above: "Something has happened and your PIN isn't available. Click to set up your PIN again."
When I click sometimes the screen refreshes to the same thing and sometimes I get a text box that wants me to search for the app in the Store. I click that and the same screen comes back.
I am also receiving an error message text box:
explorer.exe - System Error
The system has detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in
this application. This overrun could potentially allow a malicious user
to gain control of this application.
I tried to follow the steps as outlined above, but could only get to the command prompt by rebooting, holding down the shift key (the Dell logo comes up) and then accessing "Troubleshoot" > "Advanced options" > "Command Prompt". as per above.
My prompt when this happened was X:\Windows\System32
I changed to C: and then used cd to get to C:\Windows\System32
I then followed the steps above in #3 and #4 above, but the reboot didn't change anything. The same screen came up.\
Now I can no longer access the Advanced Options when rebooting using the SHIFT key so I am locked out of the system.
Any help?