Windows 11, forgot pin and can't use other sign in options

Anonymous
2024-04-13T04:40:49+00:00

I tried logging in with my fingerprint but some reason it didn't work and then said needs pin to sign in, I can't log in to my laptop at all, I forgot my pin and I unfortunately don't have my pin with me to type it out ( I usually have my passwords and pins written down somewhere incase I forget). It doesn't have the "I forgot my pin" option at all and tried disabling the secure boot option in BIOS, didn't do anything. I tried holding down shift+ restart to try entering to safe mode, did not work. I do not want to reset my laptop to lose all of my stuff and I'm at my wits end with this, how do I solve this?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Accounts, profiles, and login

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-01-28T03:43:42+00:00

    Martin,

    I have the impossible PIN problem so now I am using a different computer. I may buy a new HD for the bricked computer.

    Every large company I deal with sends me an email confirmation after we do anything. Why can't MSFT email every change in PIN or Password to its users? And why not force the change to take 1 week? That is, for a week, the user could still use the old method, but after a week MSFT sends them a second email with their new PIN and bricks their computer if they lose the email. You know, be kind.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-01-24T01:10:37+00:00

    Forgot my pin. When I click on reset my pin nothing happens. I can't login.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-01-20T04:00:44+00:00

    Hi Martin

    I am having trouble logging onto my laptop.

    At the login page I put my pin in and this is the message that comes up “This sign-in option is disabled because of failed signin attempts or repeated shutdowns. Use a different sign-in option, or keep your device powered on for 2hrs and then try again”.

    It’s been months now since i have been able to log in. Can you help me please?

    Thank you

    Hayley

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-01-17T23:47:18+00:00

    icacls %windir%\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\NGC /grant administrators:F /t

    Successfully processed 5 files; Failed processing 1 file
    
    C:\WINDOWS\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\NGC\{3D1C9C4C-6D4D-4971-A31E-AAE5561D91943}\1.dat: Access denied.
    

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-12-25T21:36:21+00:00

    Dear Microsoft Support Team,

    I hope you're well. I followed all the instructions provided, but now I am facing a critical issue. After resetting my PIN (due to forgetting it), I no longer have access to administrator privileges. I am now listed as a standard user and cannot run CMD or perform any administrative actions.

    However, I still have access to my Microsoft account. Could you kindly guide me on how to regain administrator access or resolve this issue?

    Your prompt assistance would be greatly appreciated.

    Thank you,
    Ali

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments