Windows 11, forgot pin and can't use other sign in options

Anonymous
2024-04-13T04:40:49+00:00

I tried logging in with my fingerprint but some reason it didn't work and then said needs pin to sign in, I can't log in to my laptop at all, I forgot my pin and I unfortunately don't have my pin with me to type it out ( I usually have my passwords and pins written down somewhere incase I forget). It doesn't have the "I forgot my pin" option at all and tried disabling the secure boot option in BIOS, didn't do anything. I tried holding down shift+ restart to try entering to safe mode, did not work. I do not want to reset my laptop to lose all of my stuff and I'm at my wits end with this, how do I solve this?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Accounts, profiles, and login

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-07-08T23:57:50+00:00

    I forgot my password, and I was okay with that because i was using my fingerprint and face ID to unlock my laptop. I also had a PIN that i changed to new one yesterday and when I tried to sign in after changing PIN it says “Something happened and your PIN isn’t available. Click to set up your PIN again.” and then when i click to set up my PIN nothing shows up, it’s like that button is not working. I cant sign in with my face ID or fingerprint because it says that PIN is required. I tried with this metod with Repair stuff and when I come to the part where I need to click Command Prompt its show up screen where I need to log in with user and i forgot the password. What can I do without losing my data?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-07-07T02:00:29+00:00

    Didn't work

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-07-05T01:49:19+00:00

    I have difficulty in step 6, it returns a message " the syntaxes of this command is: NET USER

    [username [password | *] [ options ] / DOMAIN

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-07-05T01:25:16+00:00

    I have done upto 4th step but after the reboot, I do not find the utility manager icon, how do I proceed?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-06-14T17:09:48+00:00

    Hi,

    I have the same problem. I am running Windows 11 on a Dell Desktop. I purchased it in 2021. Windows is updated. My only access is through a PIN. After a recent reboot, my normal login screen changed and I received the same message as above: "Something has happened and your PIN isn't available. Click to set up your PIN again."

    When I click sometimes the screen refreshes to the same thing and sometimes I get a text box that wants me to search for the app in the Store. I click that and the same screen comes back.

    I am also receiving an error message text box:

    explorer.exe - System Error

    The system has detected an overrun of a stack-based buffer in

    this application. This overrun could potentially allow a malicious user

    to gain control of this application.

    I tried to follow the steps as outlined above, but could only get to the command prompt by rebooting, holding down the shift key (the Dell logo comes up) and then accessing "Troubleshoot" > "Advanced options" > "Command Prompt". as per above.

    My prompt when this happened was X:\Windows\System32

    I changed to C: and then used cd to get to C:\Windows\System32

    I then followed the steps above in #3 and #4 above, but the reboot didn't change anything. The same screen came up.\

    Now I can no longer access the Advanced Options when rebooting using the SHIFT key so I am locked out of the system.

    Any help?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments