I want to do a clean install of Windows 11 Pro on another SSD and keep all of the files and folders including the old Windows 11 on the current boot drive.

Anonymous
2024-07-18T03:36:07+00:00

There have been similar questions but I don't want to butt into those so I ask a slightly different question. I am having some problems with my current Windows 11 installation that I am giving up on trying to solve. Also on this drive is a ton of other programs and data that I would like to keep. So I am hoping to do a new Windows install on another drive and keep this old drive so I can take my time and extract what I want to keep then format this SSD for future use.

My current Windows 11 instillation is on a 1TB M.2 SSD (drive C) also on this SSD is several programs and data folders and files and a whole lot of files that are proably part of the Windows installation. Windows and all of this other stuff is together in one partition. There is 755 GB of free space on that drive. Here's what I am hoping to do.

I have another 500 GB sata SSD (drive D) with 359 GB of data on it in one folder. I would like to move that folder to the C drive then format the D drive in preparation to install Window 11 on it. I would like to leave everything on the C drive including the old Windows 11. Swap the drive letters so that the new Windows 11 is on the C Drive and get the boot order right in the BIOS. Then I can work on cleaning up the old windows drive. Maybe I could disable the windows on that drive somehow. Maybe rename or delate some critical files.

My question is, is this doable?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Ramesh Srinivasan 88,100 Reputation points Independent Advisor
2024-07-19T03:44:20+00:00

To check activation status in Windows 11, select the Start button, and then select Settings > System and then select Activation . Your activation status will be listed next to Activation.

Ensure it says, "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account."

If it shows something else, post a screenshot.

Changing a hard drive should not void your license. You can clean install Windows 11 on the new drive (while skipping the Product Key). After Windows is installed, it automatically connects to Microsoft activation servers, finds the digital license for your hardware, and activates Windows.

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Ramesh 181.9K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2024-07-20T12:34:43+00:00

    Yes, that's correct. After completing the installation on the new drive, enter the UEFI settings and set the boot order accordingly so that it boots from the new (500 GB) drive.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-07-20T16:48:57+00:00

    I started the windows installation this morning but ran into a snag. I did all the steps from above. It was going good until I exited the BIOS. Even though the USB is showing as Boot Option #1. It doesn't ever boot up. It looks like it's going to go but the process just stops. After giving it about 10 minutes I hit the restart button to go and check the BIOS. Everything looks like it should but it's not finishing the bootup process. After a couple of tries with no success I again went into the BIOS and re-enabled the C, G and E drives. and removed the USB. Even though the C drive is boot priority #1 it does not boot up, it just keeps going back to the Logo Screen. So now that is a far as I can go. I put the USB in another computer to check it with File Explorer. It all looks good. I don't see why its not going.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-07-20T16:59:06+00:00

    There is some good news. I have the PC up and running as it was before I tried to reinstall windows.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Ramesh 181.9K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2024-07-20T17:10:09+00:00

    Here are some options I can think of:

    1. Insert the USB stick into another USB port.
    2. Use another USB stick (even though the same stick works on another device.)
    3. Create a new USB setup disk using Rufus - https://rufus.ie/en/.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments