I want to do a clean install of Windows 11 Pro on another SSD and keep all of the files and folders including the old Windows 11 on the current boot drive.

Anonymous
2024-07-18T03:36:07+00:00

There have been similar questions but I don't want to butt into those so I ask a slightly different question. I am having some problems with my current Windows 11 installation that I am giving up on trying to solve. Also on this drive is a ton of other programs and data that I would like to keep. So I am hoping to do a new Windows install on another drive and keep this old drive so I can take my time and extract what I want to keep then format this SSD for future use.

My current Windows 11 instillation is on a 1TB M.2 SSD (drive C) also on this SSD is several programs and data folders and files and a whole lot of files that are proably part of the Windows installation. Windows and all of this other stuff is together in one partition. There is 755 GB of free space on that drive. Here's what I am hoping to do.

I have another 500 GB sata SSD (drive D) with 359 GB of data on it in one folder. I would like to move that folder to the C drive then format the D drive in preparation to install Window 11 on it. I would like to leave everything on the C drive including the old Windows 11. Swap the drive letters so that the new Windows 11 is on the C Drive and get the boot order right in the BIOS. Then I can work on cleaning up the old windows drive. Maybe I could disable the windows on that drive somehow. Maybe rename or delate some critical files.

My question is, is this doable?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Ramesh Srinivasan 88,100 Reputation points Independent Advisor
2024-07-19T03:44:20+00:00

To check activation status in Windows 11, select the Start button, and then select Settings > System and then select Activation . Your activation status will be listed next to Activation.

Ensure it says, "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account."

If it shows something else, post a screenshot.

Changing a hard drive should not void your license. You can clean install Windows 11 on the new drive (while skipping the Product Key). After Windows is installed, it automatically connects to Microsoft activation servers, finds the digital license for your hardware, and activates Windows.

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Ramesh 181.9K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2024-07-22T17:05:45+00:00

    There are two more options.

    Use Macrium Reflect (no longer free, but a Trial is available) to clone the EFI and OS partitions from the old installation to the 500 GB SSD.

    Once done, boot from the 500 GB disk and start Windows. Run Setup.exe from the Windows 11 ISO and repair install Windows with the "Keep nothing" option.

    (or)

    You could try this. But be careful not to delete the partitions on the old drive. https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/94479-clean-install-windows-10-without-dvd-usb-flash-drive.html

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-07-22T16:08:00+00:00

    I did the procedure with Rufus. Problem is it did exactly the same thing as all the others. Stopped at the same spot. I looked at the files in the USB and the folders and files are the same as the ones made by the Media Creation Tool. It's got to be something in my PC that's interfering with the progress. I really don't want to have my C drive reformatted by windows installation. Maybe I should try an In Place Restoration. I did one of those in the past, I don't think it fixed my problem then. But it is definitely worth a try. But I am hoping you and Microsoft can help me figure this out.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-07-21T21:13:20+00:00

    Thank you for the link. That will be my project for tonight.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Ramesh 181.9K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2024-07-21T17:34:16+00:00

    Okay then, we will keep this one going. Every time I have tried this it has run exactly the same. I have formated the USB a couple of times, reran the Media Creation Tool 3 or 4 times, tried two different USB drives and several USB ports. It always ends in the same spot in the same way. This is how it goes. I put the USB in a USB port and reboot the PC when It gets to the BIOS I diable all the drives but the DVD burner, drive D where I want to install windows, and the USB. The USB is in the #1 spot. So I save it and let it continue. The BIOS logo screen comes up again. I just let it continue. The screen is dark for a short period then the Aorus logo comes on without the BIOS options. Then the little spinner starts going around. After maybe a minute the logo goes off and just the spinner is going. Soon the logo comes back on, spinner still going. Then the logo goes off again and a couple of seconds later the logo flashes on the screen for maybe a half second. Then the screen goes blank. The monitor and PC are still on and running but nothing ever shows up on the screen.

    Since it is always the same like it's hitting a snag either in the stuff on the USB or something with my PC. I think the only thing wrong with my PC is the stuff I am trying to fix with the reinstall.

    Someone else suggested using the Rufus tool. I looked at it but it wants to put an iso file on the USB and the instructions were scetchy.

    Rufus is a nice tool. You can certainly try it. The instructions are here: https://pureinfotech.com/rufus-create-bootable-windows-11-usb/

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments