I want to do a clean install of Windows 11 Pro on another SSD and keep all of the files and folders including the old Windows 11 on the current boot drive.

Anonymous
2024-07-18T03:36:07+00:00

There have been similar questions but I don't want to butt into those so I ask a slightly different question. I am having some problems with my current Windows 11 installation that I am giving up on trying to solve. Also on this drive is a ton of other programs and data that I would like to keep. So I am hoping to do a new Windows install on another drive and keep this old drive so I can take my time and extract what I want to keep then format this SSD for future use.

My current Windows 11 instillation is on a 1TB M.2 SSD (drive C) also on this SSD is several programs and data folders and files and a whole lot of files that are proably part of the Windows installation. Windows and all of this other stuff is together in one partition. There is 755 GB of free space on that drive. Here's what I am hoping to do.

I have another 500 GB sata SSD (drive D) with 359 GB of data on it in one folder. I would like to move that folder to the C drive then format the D drive in preparation to install Window 11 on it. I would like to leave everything on the C drive including the old Windows 11. Swap the drive letters so that the new Windows 11 is on the C Drive and get the boot order right in the BIOS. Then I can work on cleaning up the old windows drive. Maybe I could disable the windows on that drive somehow. Maybe rename or delate some critical files.

My question is, is this doable?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Ramesh Srinivasan 88,100 Reputation points Independent Advisor
2024-07-19T03:44:20+00:00

To check activation status in Windows 11, select the Start button, and then select Settings > System and then select Activation . Your activation status will be listed next to Activation.

Ensure it says, "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account."

If it shows something else, post a screenshot.

Changing a hard drive should not void your license. You can clean install Windows 11 on the new drive (while skipping the Product Key). After Windows is installed, it automatically connects to Microsoft activation servers, finds the digital license for your hardware, and activates Windows.

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-07-26T00:53:51+00:00

    OK, I got it sorted out. I moved the SATA connectors for those two drives to different ports. I checked those indicators and everything was correct now. I went ahead and did the migrate with Samsung Magician and it all went well. I did go to BIOS and disable the C drive and boot with no problems. So now I have all of drice C cloned to Drive D. Like I said I would like to have the OS on the 1 TB SSD. What's the best way to get that done?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Ramesh 181.9K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2024-07-25T17:06:57+00:00

    I discovered this drive issue when I went to clone the C drive to the D SSD. When choosing the target drive it showed me two choices. Both of them were listed as the 500 GB SSD. The first one I tried then showed that it was drive G: 1.8 TB, The second one showed it was D: 500 GB. If I choose that second one then the Samsung Magician showed that it was going to clone from C: 1 TB to C 500GB. It should have said D: 500 GB.

    Disk Management sees it correctly, and so should Diskpart and the cloning software.

    At that point I said better not do it till I sort this out.

    Ok, let me know how it goes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-07-25T14:06:37+00:00

    I discovered this drive issue when I went to clone the C drive to the D SSD. When choosing the target drive it showed me two choices. Both of them were listed as the 500 GB SSD. The first one I tried then showed that it was drive G: 1.8 TB, The second one showed it was D: 500 GB. If I choose that second one then the Samsung Magician showed that it was going to clone from C: 1 TB to C 500GB. It should have said D: 500 GB. At that point I said better not do it till I sort this out.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Ramesh 181.9K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2024-07-25T04:18:19+00:00

    //I could not get the OS to install from those USBs/

    I don't think this is related to the USB boot issue. Your system should boot regardless of your HDD/SSD position or layout or even if no HDD/SSD is connected. But for some reason, the USB boot is not working. It's not even an installation issue, but getting a USB stick to boot is the issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments