I want to do a clean install of Windows 11 Pro on another SSD and keep all of the files and folders including the old Windows 11 on the current boot drive.

Anonymous
2024-07-18T03:36:07+00:00

There have been similar questions but I don't want to butt into those so I ask a slightly different question. I am having some problems with my current Windows 11 installation that I am giving up on trying to solve. Also on this drive is a ton of other programs and data that I would like to keep. So I am hoping to do a new Windows install on another drive and keep this old drive so I can take my time and extract what I want to keep then format this SSD for future use.

My current Windows 11 instillation is on a 1TB M.2 SSD (drive C) also on this SSD is several programs and data folders and files and a whole lot of files that are proably part of the Windows installation. Windows and all of this other stuff is together in one partition. There is 755 GB of free space on that drive. Here's what I am hoping to do.

I have another 500 GB sata SSD (drive D) with 359 GB of data on it in one folder. I would like to move that folder to the C drive then format the D drive in preparation to install Window 11 on it. I would like to leave everything on the C drive including the old Windows 11. Swap the drive letters so that the new Windows 11 is on the C Drive and get the boot order right in the BIOS. Then I can work on cleaning up the old windows drive. Maybe I could disable the windows on that drive somehow. Maybe rename or delate some critical files.

My question is, is this doable?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Ramesh Srinivasan 88,100 Reputation points Independent Advisor
2024-07-19T03:44:20+00:00

To check activation status in Windows 11, select the Start button, and then select Settings > System and then select Activation . Your activation status will be listed next to Activation.

Ensure it says, "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account."

If it shows something else, post a screenshot.

Changing a hard drive should not void your license. You can clean install Windows 11 on the new drive (while skipping the Product Key). After Windows is installed, it automatically connects to Microsoft activation servers, finds the digital license for your hardware, and activates Windows.

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Ramesh 181.9K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2024-07-20T12:34:43+00:00

    Yes, that's correct. After completing the installation on the new drive, enter the UEFI settings and set the boot order accordingly so that it boots from the new (500 GB) drive.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-07-20T02:20:38+00:00

    OK, I have the USB drive setup properly. I am just being carefull I don't need any more computer problems than I already have.

    Can you verify these steps for me please.

    1. Put the USB drive in PC
    2. Reboot PC
    3. Go to BIOS
    4. Disable drives C, E and G
    5. Save and exit BIOS

    6 PC should boot to USB

    Confirm Language, Time and Keyboard

    Hit Install Now

    It should install Windows on the D drive and change it to C

    When finished reboot PC, Go into BIOS and Enable the drives I disabled.

    Save and exit BIOS.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Ramesh Srinivasan 88,100 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2024-07-19T23:27:55+00:00

    Yes, the other drive(s) can be disabled in te BIOS. To clean install Windows, you need to create a USB setup disk using the Media Creation Tool.

    Download Windows 11 Media Creation Tool (MCT) from this link:

    https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=2156295

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-07-19T20:45:26+00:00

    I checked Activation Status, it was good. "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account"

    In referrence to removing or disconnecting the Current OS drive C: . Can I just go into the BIOS and under Boot Option Priorities select the drive with the current OS on it (priority #1) and Disable it. untill after the Windows installation on the blank 500GB drive has finished and became the new drive C: . Then enable it again. I could take it out of the PC but it is under the graphics card. It would just be a lot easier if I can just disable it. Also, just to be safe can I disable the other 1 TB SSD (drive E) and the 1 TB Hard drive (drive G) to protect the stuff on them.

    Another thing, do I need to make the USB drive bootable before I put the iso file on it or will it boot with just the iso file on it?

    Thanks for your help

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments