I want to do a clean install of Windows 11 Pro on another SSD and keep all of the files and folders including the old Windows 11 on the current boot drive.

Anonymous
2024-07-18T03:36:07+00:00

There have been similar questions but I don't want to butt into those so I ask a slightly different question. I am having some problems with my current Windows 11 installation that I am giving up on trying to solve. Also on this drive is a ton of other programs and data that I would like to keep. So I am hoping to do a new Windows install on another drive and keep this old drive so I can take my time and extract what I want to keep then format this SSD for future use.

My current Windows 11 instillation is on a 1TB M.2 SSD (drive C) also on this SSD is several programs and data folders and files and a whole lot of files that are proably part of the Windows installation. Windows and all of this other stuff is together in one partition. There is 755 GB of free space on that drive. Here's what I am hoping to do.

I have another 500 GB sata SSD (drive D) with 359 GB of data on it in one folder. I would like to move that folder to the C drive then format the D drive in preparation to install Window 11 on it. I would like to leave everything on the C drive including the old Windows 11. Swap the drive letters so that the new Windows 11 is on the C Drive and get the boot order right in the BIOS. Then I can work on cleaning up the old windows drive. Maybe I could disable the windows on that drive somehow. Maybe rename or delate some critical files.

My question is, is this doable?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Ramesh Srinivasan 88,100 Reputation points Independent Advisor
2024-07-19T03:44:20+00:00

To check activation status in Windows 11, select the Start button, and then select Settings > System and then select Activation . Your activation status will be listed next to Activation.

Ensure it says, "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account."

If it shows something else, post a screenshot.

Changing a hard drive should not void your license. You can clean install Windows 11 on the new drive (while skipping the Product Key). After Windows is installed, it automatically connects to Microsoft activation servers, finds the digital license for your hardware, and activates Windows.

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-07-21T02:06:35+00:00

    This is in the wrong topic.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-07-21T00:07:42+00:00

    I don't know why this isn't working. I uninstalled that U3 system and reformated the USB and reinstalled the windows setup files on the USB. Then I went through the BIOS routine disabling all the drives except D (which is where I want it to install Windows) and the USB. It's doing the exact same thing it did when I first tried as I outlined above. After I do the reboot it starts with the USB and it looks like it is going to go but then it just stops and nothing else happens. I have tried 3 or 4 different USB ports, including 3.0, 3.1, and 2.0. Maybe it doesn't like me disabling all those other drives. The only other thing I know of to try is a different USB drive. These are the files on the USB.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-07-20T23:45:10+00:00

    Irrelevent but idk how else to contact you please can you give me that w11-sechealrh-loacation.reg I need it

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-07-20T17:48:21+00:00

    I am going to remake the setup drive. I realized something that may be causing the problem. This USB drive is a SanDisk 8 GB. It has on it a U3 System. I found a program online that will remove that U3 System. I did that and now the File Explorer only shows the one drive M. The U3 System partition is now gone. Do you think this could have been the problem?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments