I want to do a clean install of Windows 11 Pro on another SSD and keep all of the files and folders including the old Windows 11 on the current boot drive.

Anonymous
2024-07-18T03:36:07+00:00

There have been similar questions but I don't want to butt into those so I ask a slightly different question. I am having some problems with my current Windows 11 installation that I am giving up on trying to solve. Also on this drive is a ton of other programs and data that I would like to keep. So I am hoping to do a new Windows install on another drive and keep this old drive so I can take my time and extract what I want to keep then format this SSD for future use.

My current Windows 11 instillation is on a 1TB M.2 SSD (drive C) also on this SSD is several programs and data folders and files and a whole lot of files that are proably part of the Windows installation. Windows and all of this other stuff is together in one partition. There is 755 GB of free space on that drive. Here's what I am hoping to do.

I have another 500 GB sata SSD (drive D) with 359 GB of data on it in one folder. I would like to move that folder to the C drive then format the D drive in preparation to install Window 11 on it. I would like to leave everything on the C drive including the old Windows 11. Swap the drive letters so that the new Windows 11 is on the C Drive and get the boot order right in the BIOS. Then I can work on cleaning up the old windows drive. Maybe I could disable the windows on that drive somehow. Maybe rename or delate some critical files.

My question is, is this doable?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Ramesh Srinivasan 88,100 Reputation points Independent Advisor
2024-07-19T03:44:20+00:00

To check activation status in Windows 11, select the Start button, and then select Settings > System and then select Activation . Your activation status will be listed next to Activation.

Ensure it says, "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account."

If it shows something else, post a screenshot.

Changing a hard drive should not void your license. You can clean install Windows 11 on the new drive (while skipping the Product Key). After Windows is installed, it automatically connects to Microsoft activation servers, finds the digital license for your hardware, and activates Windows.

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Ramesh Srinivasan 88,100 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2024-07-18T17:43:30+00:00

    Hi BigT1965,

    Ok, good luck and keep me posted.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-07-18T15:02:48+00:00

    Ramesh,

    Thanks for the positive reply. With a quick read it sounds like something I can do. I will give it more consideration later today and get back with you if necessary. The primary reason I want to do this Windows reinstall is because I have lost the use of the Microsoft Store, xbox, and Microsoft Flight Simulator. I am hoping the reinstall will fix the MS Store and the xbox issue. Then with those working I think I can fix the flight sim. I have tried a multitude of fixes for the MS Store and xbox but none of them have fixed the problems.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Ramesh Srinivasan 88,100 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2024-07-18T04:29:37+00:00

    Alternatively, if detaching the 1 TB M.2 is difficult, you can create the EFI and MSR partitions using WinRE Command Prompt during the setup.

    The instructions are here.

    https://www.techtarget.com/searchenterprisedesk...

    However, be sure to choose the right disk.

    Run;

    diskpart

    select disk 0

    detail disk

    select disk 1

    detail disk

    exit

    To know the disk # of your 500 GB SSD.

    Then do the following:

    Create the EFI and MSR partitions on the 500 GB disk using the instructions on the above link.

    Delete or convert the EFI partition to a basic data partition on the 1 TB disk.

    Delete the MSR partition on the 1 TB disk.

    Clean install Windows on the 500 GB disk.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Ramesh Srinivasan 88,100 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2024-07-18T04:12:28+00:00

    Hi BigT1965, This is Ramesh.

    Sure, you can clean install Windows 11 on the 500 GB SSD. However, it's advisable to detach the 1 TB SSD (or disable it in UEFI, if possible) so that Windows can create the EFI system and MSR partitions on the 500 GB drive. Otherwise, the Windows setup uses the existing EFI partition.

    After clean installing and booting from the 500 GB drive, the OS partition on that drive will be assigned the drive letter C. Your 1 TB drive might get the next available drive letter, usually D.

    Then, reconnect or re-enable your 1 TB SSD. Delete or convert the EFI partition (on the 1 TB disk) to a basic partition using Diskpart.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments