I want to Reset my PC but keep my files & settings, how do I do it?

Anonymous
2024-09-20T20:06:06+00:00

i wish to Reset my PC because I'm having problems with the Touchpad and some windows closing sporafically. I have tried everything to resolve the Touchpad problem but it continues to not work, then work and it continues. The more fixes I try the worse it gets, I have had enough and have been told to revert to original settings. I used Reset on my 6 year old Windows 10 PC and it resolved problems I was experiencing.

I don't know how to do it on my Windows 11 PC and need so me help to get started. Are you able to help?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Recovery and backup

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Solamillo Charity 20,295 Reputation points Independent Advisor
2024-09-26T01:59:14+00:00

Thank you for getting back to me. Did it just stopped abruptly, or did it have any error codes?

Since you're considering sending the laptop for repair, it’s a smart move to back up everything you might need for a smooth transition.

I would suggest to check this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCTZ9tO_BtI

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install.

Please let me know if you have any more questions, I'll do my best to respond as soon as possible.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-09-23T21:37:43+00:00

    Hi again

    I thought I had replied to your last post but I don't see it here. I sometimes lose a post if I move the mouse the wrong way before I post it.

    To cut my reply short I have no idea what I'm doing with Defaults in Apps. I replied to my PC manufacturer earlier about the Touchpad problem and I was able to insert a Screenshot and it was visible in the post.

    I don't know what most of the file extensions mean so I don't know what to do in app defaults. I haven't had to do anything like that for years apart from the occasion.al new programme. Then Windows 10 would suggest an appropriate default. Windows 11 thinks everyone knows what to do but they are leaving older people like me behind.

    Is there help somewhere to show the correct file association/default. You Tube videos or MS videos.

    I again tried to add a Screenshot and it all went to plan, even showing the name of the Screenshot in the Inset Image panel but when Iclicked Insert nothing showed.

    Eureka

    The only thing I have done in the past half hour is remove The Screenshots folder and a few other folders from Quick access. Can that have made any difference?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Solamillo Charity 20,295 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2024-09-23T23:16:50+00:00

    Hi!

    It’s great that you were able to insert a screenshot successfully earlier! Removing the Screenshots folder from Quick Access could have influenced the way Windows was handling the path to your saved screenshots.

    If you’re not sure which apps to assign, you can reset everything to Microsoft’s recommended defaults (this is the easiest way to avoid dealing with each file type individually):

    Reset to Default Apps:

    Press Windows + I to open Settings.

    Go to Apps and click Default apps.

    Scroll down and click Reset (under Reset all default apps). This will restore everything to Microsoft’s recommended defaults, so image files open in Photos, PDFs in Edge, etc.

    Please let me know if this works for you. I'll do my best to respond as soon as possible.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-09-24T00:26:25+00:00

    Thank you for staying with me on this. I really appreciate your help.

    I have Reset all the Defaults and tested Screenshots to see if it worked and I'm pleased to report that the mugshot appeared again in this post. I Didn't want to subject you to it again so I deleted it. It had served it's purpose.

    I signed up to the 100 GB one Drive this pm and to find out how it worked I discovered a You Tube video tutorial. When I played it there was no volume and my heart sank, yet another problem. I hadn't used any programmes with audio since the Reset and only noticed it today. I checked loads of settings and could not find the problem. I Googled it and one of the possible solutions was checking the Audio on the Taskbar. It was Muted. Before the Reset, I would have checked that first but because all the problems I'm experiencing are difficult for me to sort out I didn't think of the most obvious solution.

    Back to the original problem with my Touchpad. As I was looking for other settings I found this, see snip

    ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

    I could not see the Touchpad as a device although the drivers for it are in Device Manager. I want to ensure the Windows side is covered before I speak to the laptop manufacturer. One Device 12C HID comes from Windows, all others from the manufacturer. The little yellow triangle beside 12C HID Device denotes a problem and it hasn't been resolved by the Reset. It was for that reason i did the Reset.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Solamillo Charity 20,295 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2024-09-24T02:09:04+00:00

    You're very much welcome! Let's try downloading all of the required drivers from the manufacturer's site.

    Press Windows + R to open the Run dialog.

    Type msinfo32 and press Enter.

    In the System Information window, look for the System Manufacturer and System Model under System Summary. This will provide the make and model of your laptop or desktop, or in some cases, the motherboard.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments