I want to Reset my PC but keep my files & settings, how do I do it?

Anonymous
2024-09-20T20:06:06+00:00

i wish to Reset my PC because I'm having problems with the Touchpad and some windows closing sporafically. I have tried everything to resolve the Touchpad problem but it continues to not work, then work and it continues. The more fixes I try the worse it gets, I have had enough and have been told to revert to original settings. I used Reset on my 6 year old Windows 10 PC and it resolved problems I was experiencing.

I don't know how to do it on my Windows 11 PC and need so me help to get started. Are you able to help?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Recovery and backup

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Solamillo Charity 20,295 Reputation points Independent Advisor
2024-09-26T01:59:14+00:00

Thank you for getting back to me. Did it just stopped abruptly, or did it have any error codes?

Since you're considering sending the laptop for repair, it’s a smart move to back up everything you might need for a smooth transition.

I would suggest to check this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCTZ9tO_BtI

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install.

Please let me know if you have any more questions, I'll do my best to respond as soon as possible.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-09-22T14:23:05+00:00

    There must be a way of using my portable drive to back up everytning on my PC, including the things Reset did not retain. The stuff that is now taking hours to try and set up. I have asked that several times and I'm always pointed to One drive or the cloud. I just checked what was in my cloud, it was old photos. I also have them on a portable drive - belt and braces. WHY did the Reset retain my own photos and docs but not my profiles??

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Solamillo Charity 20,295 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2024-09-22T14:39:30+00:00

    I'm sorry about the delayed response, and I'm really sorry about that and I understand the frustration. You can manually back up your profiles and settings directly to your external drive.

    Open File Explorer and locate your important files:

    Copy the entire contents of C:\Users\YourUsername. This will include your Documents, Pictures, Downloads, and AppData (which stores settings and profiles).

    Paste the copied contents to your 500GB portable hard drive.

    If you want to continue using File History:

    Open Settings → Update & Security → Backup.

    Select Add a drive and choose your 500GB portable drive.

    Configure File History to back up your important files.

    If File History isn’t showing all the folders you want to back up, you can manually add folders by going to Settings → Update & Security → Backup → More options, and under Back up these folders, click Add a folder.

    Unfortunately, Windows Reset is designed to keep personal files (like documents and photos) but not necessarily user profiles or app-specific settings (like bookmarks, saved passwords, and profiles). This is a known limitation of the reset process, which is why backups before resets are so critical for settings.

    Please let me know if this works for you. I'll do my best to respond as soon as possible.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-09-22T16:46:26+00:00

    Don't apologise for dealing with other things or taking some time out. I went for a walk to get some fresh air and to clear my head after lunch. You are staying with me to sort out my problems and for that I'm truly thankful.

    On m y old Windows 10 PC, all settings were retained after Reset PC. I did a few of them i n the dying days of the 6/7 year old PC. Windows 11 is not an improvement in my view.

    I will try and copy the profiles from Thunderbird, Firefox, Chrome and Edge. I had already copied my personal stuff and have done nothing in the past few days apart from trying to sort this out.

    Would you mind stating the path to each of the above profiles and I may save then=m in the cloud. If I do will they update automatically without me having to do it. If so, I would happily subscribe. I would rather keep control of my personal files and update the backup from time to time.

    You said:

    Open Settings > Update & Security > Backup

    That does not exist under my Settings.

    The last two items are@

    Privacy & Security and

    Windows Update

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-09-22T18:16:59+00:00

    This screenshot shows the choices under Settings: Why does this snipping tool screenshot not copy to this site??

    I'm trying to show you that the option you suggested under Settings does not exist on my PC. It's severly limiting not to be able to copy to and from this site, especially as I'm fighting with my Touchpad/mouse.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments