I want to Reset my PC but keep my files & settings, how do I do it?

Anonymous
2024-09-20T20:06:06+00:00

i wish to Reset my PC because I'm having problems with the Touchpad and some windows closing sporafically. I have tried everything to resolve the Touchpad problem but it continues to not work, then work and it continues. The more fixes I try the worse it gets, I have had enough and have been told to revert to original settings. I used Reset on my 6 year old Windows 10 PC and it resolved problems I was experiencing.

I don't know how to do it on my Windows 11 PC and need so me help to get started. Are you able to help?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Recovery and backup

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Solamillo Charity 20,295 Reputation points Independent Advisor
2024-09-26T01:59:14+00:00

Thank you for getting back to me. Did it just stopped abruptly, or did it have any error codes?

Since you're considering sending the laptop for repair, it’s a smart move to back up everything you might need for a smooth transition.

I would suggest to check this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCTZ9tO_BtI

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install.

Please let me know if you have any more questions, I'll do my best to respond as soon as possible.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Solamillo Charity 20,295 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2024-09-25T00:23:40+00:00

    Hmm, I would also suggest to right click the text, then "Open Link on new tab" if it's possible.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-09-25T22:51:50+00:00

    Hi

    I contacted Acer Support today and they provided the details of the Chipset driver. How is a PC user supposed to know it's for the Touchpad. Even the members on here did'nt know. There should be a clue in the name.

    The correct drivers to install for my Acer 5 A515-56 Touchpad. image.png

    At first the Chipset driver would not install because Defender blocked it. It was then I noticed That Norton Security had installed sometime after the Reset. I uninstalled it and restarted my PC and I was then able to install the Chipset and IO Drivers. After turning off and on, I was pleased to see the Touchpad working again.

    BUT

    About 2 hours later it stopped working so it's back to square one.

    I need to get One Drive filled with files that are vital to the seamless operation of my PC as I fear that I may have to return the Laptop to be fixed.

    I need to copy or link the profiles from browsers and Thunderbird to One Drive. What other stuff do I need to save for a smooth transfer after repair. I have copies of docs & photos on a thumb drive. Is there anything else I need to save/copy?

    I must find a tutorial video on One Drive as I don't want to end up with two copies of folders like I did with Screenshots. Do You have any recommendations for a tutorial.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-09-26T16:22:38+00:00

    Did you delete your recent reply?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Solamillo Charity 20,295 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2024-09-26T17:34:39+00:00

    Thank you for getting back to me. As per checking, my last comment is still there. I can copy-paste it again if you want. :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments