I want to Reset my PC but keep my files & settings, how do I do it?

Anonymous
2024-09-20T20:06:06+00:00

i wish to Reset my PC because I'm having problems with the Touchpad and some windows closing sporafically. I have tried everything to resolve the Touchpad problem but it continues to not work, then work and it continues. The more fixes I try the worse it gets, I have had enough and have been told to revert to original settings. I used Reset on my 6 year old Windows 10 PC and it resolved problems I was experiencing.

I don't know how to do it on my Windows 11 PC and need so me help to get started. Are you able to help?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Recovery and backup

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Solamillo Charity 20,295 Reputation points Independent Advisor
2024-09-26T01:59:14+00:00

Thank you for getting back to me. Did it just stopped abruptly, or did it have any error codes?

Since you're considering sending the laptop for repair, it’s a smart move to back up everything you might need for a smooth transition.

I would suggest to check this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCTZ9tO_BtI

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install.

Please let me know if you have any more questions, I'll do my best to respond as soon as possible.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Solamillo Charity 20,295 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2024-09-22T21:48:19+00:00

    Thank you for the update.

    Microsoft does indeed push OneDrive as a primary option for backups, but you can still back up to your portable drive. Since you’re in Advanced Storage options, the process for backing up to a portable hard drive (bypassing the cloud) works like this:

    Open File Explorer:

    Press Windows + E to open File Explorer.

    Manually Copy Your Data:

    Navigate to the folders where your files and settings are located, such as:

    C:\Users\YourUsername (for Documents, Pictures, Downloads, and even AppData which contains profiles and settings).

    Profile paths I listed for Thunderbird, Firefox, Chrome, and Edge earlier.

    Copy to Portable Drive:

    Connect your portable drive and drag-and-drop or copy-paste the folders into it. This way, you can ensure all your important files and profiles are backed up without using the cloud.

    Please let me know if this works for you. I'll do my best to respond as soon as possible.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-09-22T21:38:25+00:00

    Sorry, my mistake. I posted the screenshot directly to the message and discovered much later that I should use Insert Image. I'm not working with all brain cells. I'm so tired of this but I can't give up.

    Latest for you is what I see in Advanced Storage options - see image. There is a wayto backup to the Cloud but I can't see how I can backup to a portable storage device. I think Microsoft is coercing me to use One Drive. I would use it for my profiles if I knew how to if they automatically update.

    I inserted the image sucessfully but I can't see it.

    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

    Another problem after Reset - they keep on coming

    When I try accessing Screenshots I get this error/info message. Title says Location is not available. To insert an image I have to save them in Downloads as I can't access them in Screenshots.

    Are you able to see the images that attached successfully?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Solamillo Charity 20,295 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2024-09-22T21:23:38+00:00

    I'm really sorry, but I cannot seem to see the screenshot you sent me, as it says "not found" If possible, you can use a different image hosting then you can provide to me the link e.g imgur.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more