I want to Reset my PC but keep my files & settings, how do I do it?

Anonymous
2024-09-20T20:06:06+00:00

i wish to Reset my PC because I'm having problems with the Touchpad and some windows closing sporafically. I have tried everything to resolve the Touchpad problem but it continues to not work, then work and it continues. The more fixes I try the worse it gets, I have had enough and have been told to revert to original settings. I used Reset on my 6 year old Windows 10 PC and it resolved problems I was experiencing.

I don't know how to do it on my Windows 11 PC and need so me help to get started. Are you able to help?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Recovery and backup

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Solamillo Charity 20,295 Reputation points Independent Advisor
2024-09-26T01:59:14+00:00

Thank you for getting back to me. Did it just stopped abruptly, or did it have any error codes?

Since you're considering sending the laptop for repair, it’s a smart move to back up everything you might need for a smooth transition.

I would suggest to check this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCTZ9tO_BtI

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install.

Please let me know if you have any more questions, I'll do my best to respond as soon as possible.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-09-23T21:37:43+00:00

    Hi again

    I thought I had replied to your last post but I don't see it here. I sometimes lose a post if I move the mouse the wrong way before I post it.

    To cut my reply short I have no idea what I'm doing with Defaults in Apps. I replied to my PC manufacturer earlier about the Touchpad problem and I was able to insert a Screenshot and it was visible in the post.

    I don't know what most of the file extensions mean so I don't know what to do in app defaults. I haven't had to do anything like that for years apart from the occasion.al new programme. Then Windows 10 would suggest an appropriate default. Windows 11 thinks everyone knows what to do but they are leaving older people like me behind.

    Is there help somewhere to show the correct file association/default. You Tube videos or MS videos.

    I again tried to add a Screenshot and it all went to plan, even showing the name of the Screenshot in the Inset Image panel but when Iclicked Insert nothing showed.

    Eureka

    The only thing I have done in the past half hour is remove The Screenshots folder and a few other folders from Quick access. Can that have made any difference?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Solamillo Charity 20,295 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2024-09-23T13:50:10+00:00

    Good day! The Reset might have affected app permissions.

    Go to Settings → Privacy & security → App permissions.

    Scroll down to Screenshots and apps and ensure that any apps (The browser that you are using to talk to me) you are using to post (like a browser or messaging app) have permission to access screenshots.

    After done, you may send a sample screenshot here.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-09-23T10:41:25+00:00

    Good day to you.

    Before we go any further I have a question on Screenshots before and after Reset.

    On a Microsoft question on 19 Sept, I posted a question and included Screenshots and they appeared correctly.

    After Reset they don't appear despite getting the successful message after Insert Image. Tou have witnessed my attempts to post Screenshots. I would like to get that sorted before going any further.

    I took this for granted on Win 10 and on Win 11 so don't know why it's no longer working. If it's settings I lost in the Reset then it will take me months to correct or set up properly. My non tech mind shouts that something must have gone wrong in the Reset for me to have so many niggling problems. My inclination is to do a complete reinstall/repair of Windows. If I do that I will have to back up Thunderbird and Firefox as all my work since Reset has been on there.

    Being able to include a Screenshot in my posts hinders my ability to explain problems.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Solamillo Charity 20,295 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2024-09-23T02:53:14+00:00

    Yes, if you save your profile folders in OneDrive, they will automatically sync and update as long as OneDrive is running and actively syncing.

    When you move your Thunderbird, Firefox, Chrome, or Edge profile folders into the OneDrive folder on your PC, OneDrive will treat these as part of its synced files.

    Please Make sure that:

    The OneDrive app is running on your PC.

    You are signed in to your Microsoft account in OneDrive.

    There are no sync issues (you can check the OneDrive icon in your taskbar for any errors).

    Please let me know if you have any more questions, I'll do my best to respond as soon as possible.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments