I want to Reset my PC but keep my files & settings, how do I do it?

Anonymous
2024-09-20T20:06:06+00:00

i wish to Reset my PC because I'm having problems with the Touchpad and some windows closing sporafically. I have tried everything to resolve the Touchpad problem but it continues to not work, then work and it continues. The more fixes I try the worse it gets, I have had enough and have been told to revert to original settings. I used Reset on my 6 year old Windows 10 PC and it resolved problems I was experiencing.

I don't know how to do it on my Windows 11 PC and need so me help to get started. Are you able to help?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Recovery and backup

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Solamillo Charity 20,295 Reputation points Independent Advisor
2024-09-26T01:59:14+00:00

Thank you for getting back to me. Did it just stopped abruptly, or did it have any error codes?

Since you're considering sending the laptop for repair, it’s a smart move to back up everything you might need for a smooth transition.

I would suggest to check this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCTZ9tO_BtI

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install.

Please let me know if you have any more questions, I'll do my best to respond as soon as possible.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-09-29T23:23:14+00:00

    See the prevous reply and the last question. I'm not happy that my One Drive dashboard is in File Explorer. Is there a way of making the folders in One Drive look different. I'm terrified I will mix them up. Most of the videos of One drive look very different.

    On this video, One Drive appears on the top left hand side of the screen. Is that the only screen for One Drive. If so, how do I find my File Explorer screen showing My C: drive and all the folders, files NOT in one drive.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Solamillo Charity 20,295 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2024-09-29T20:13:45+00:00

    Hi! Just checking back if you still need assistance? If you find the answers above helpful, you may mark it as an answer. If not, please tap on "Reply".

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-09-28T19:51:43+00:00

    Hello again, I'm so pleased you are still hanging in there.

    Fro m One Drive, I ended up in a MS troubleshooting screen listing many file copies of screenshots that I deleted. I did not make the copies but they appeared after I started to use One Drive. When I saw them in File Explorer I deleted every one that said 'copy'. They appeared to be the cause of the error. The error message then disappeared. I wanted to delete them from One Drive completely but the only option seemed to be Restore. I didn't use it.

    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

    About > Backing up Users folder.

    The videos I watched are either too advanced for me or I can't see what's on the screen as it's too small. Are you able to provide a print screen showing what I have to do. If I copy a folder like my Username to One Drive what happens to the file on my C:::drive? If I move it to Onedrive it will no longer be on my C: drive.

    Once the Folder is in OneDrive, how do I make it sync and check that its syncing?

    Perhaps there should be a video called: One Drive, Baby Steps. I wish I learned to use One Drive in a less stressful situation, not when my PC has to be returned to Acer for repair.

    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

    When I click on One Drive from my Taskbar, it takes me to the File Explorer page. This is not the page I see in Tutorials and is confusing. How do I access the One Drive app/page.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Solamillo Charity 20,295 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2024-09-27T21:16:43+00:00

    Thank you for getting back to me.

    -The red error in your OneDrive folder likely indicates a sync issue. Check the OneDrive icon in the taskbar for details, and follow prompts to resolve it.

    Back Up the Users Folder:

    -Navigate to C:\Users\YourUsername and back up this entire folder to OneDrive. This will include your personal settings, email profiles, and app data (like Thunderbird, Firefox, Chrome, etc.).

    -In the highlighted areas, no need to back up Program Files, Program Files (x86), or Windows folders, as they contain system and program files that can be reinstalled.

    Make sure OneDrive syncs everything by checking its status in the taskbar.

    May I also ask if you have seen my last comment?

    Please let me know if you have any more questions, I'll do my best to respond as soon as possible.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments