HP Scanner's broke with 24H2 updates

Anonymous
2024-10-29T14:35:06+00:00

After the 24H2 updates the HP Scanner 2000s2 and the N4000 series scanners will not work. It all happened when the host USB drivers updated. Has anyone had this issue and if so do you have a fix. All scanners in our school district were working great until the 24H2 was pushed out.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-01-20T22:51:34+00:00

    Thanks_Tom_394. I'll take a look at naps2.

    For what it's worth, I think that the slow loading of the HP Scan software is related to the bad Win11 driver, as opposed to HP Scan itself. I got access to a Win10 machine and the same HP Scan software version works just fine (with quicker load time) with my new scanner.

    Another oddity of the whole Win11/Scanner issue: even when I am able to get Win11 to recognize the Scanner (which takes lots of monkeying around), the slow-loading HP Scan software never loads its OCR module at all.

    I've heard that the 24H2 update for Win11 is loaded with bugs, and is responsible for the problem we are experiencing. I don't know if HP is going to come out with a fix on their own, or whether MSFT has to provide the fix, but there are reports of this issue online that date back to November (when 24H2 was released), so hopefully a solution is coming soon.

    In the meantime, I'm giving more thought to ditching Microsoft altogether and just getting Macs for my business.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-01-20T13:42:18+00:00

    Hi again.

    So my HP MFP 4301fdw color laser printer/scanner stopped working after the latest Windows 11 update. I got it to work again for awhile after uninstalling, redownloading all the software and reinstalling. Worked for about a week then failed and then the same process would not work again. Finally found the following thread on alternative scanning software and downloaded the shareware naps2 and it has been excellent. Easy to install and loads very quickly (the HP scan software took like 45 seconds to load even when it was working). The only thing I can't seem to figure out is scanning two sided documents (duplex). It's supposed to do that but can't make it work. That's rare for me so I can live with it. I'm assuming HP or Microsoft will solve the issue at some point. This works very well in the meantime. Bottomline, there are many scanning software options out there. You don't have to use HPs. And the others actually work!

    Good luck. I know how frustrating this is when you're just trying to get work done.

    https://www.reddit.com/r/printers/comments/u4umee/how_to_use_hp_printer_without_hp_smart_app_to/

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-01-20T03:28:52+00:00

    HP ScanJet N6600 not getting recognized by Windows 11. My new HP scanner is effectively bricked, and I've got TONS of work to do.

    How will we know when Microsoft has a fix for this issue?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-01-07T18:59:04+00:00

    Hi,

    The command pnputil /delete-driver escl.inf /uninstall /force run as admin worked, but as soon as you unplug the scanner or reboot the PC, the USB drivers refresh and then the scanner disappears from Device Manager again.

    I have also tried to reinstall several times the driver package below, but this does not resolve the issue.

    HP Universal Scan - Full Feature Software and Driver

    Version: 63.4.6169

    Size: 411.0 MB

    In the brief time it did work, I even updated the firmware on the scanner to version 0.65, but that made no difference.

    KB5048667 was installed on 13th December 2024.

    This is definately a driver issue with Windows 24H2 and needs to be addressed urgently by Microsoft as I can't keep having to jump through these hoops to use the scanner. I'm surprised HP are not jumping all over Microsoft for stopping their hardware working correctly.

    Does anyone have any updates with HP or a case number I can log a ticket and reference it to.

    The native Windows scan works, but the functionality is rubbish compared to the HP Scan.

    Kind regards,

    Steve

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-01-02T14:55:40+00:00

    We are still having this issue with a Fujitsu Scanner FI-7160. I have tried all different versions of TWAIN drivers and paperstream versions. The scanner is still not recognized in the paperstream program.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments