How to downgrade from Windows 11 24H2 to 23H2 without losing any data

Anonymous
2024-10-30T13:25:39+00:00

I upgraded my laptop to Windows 11 24H2 since October 4 2024 using it's installation assistant, but after nearly a month of using it, I've ran into having bugs, issues and slow Windows startup speeds.

I can't stand with bugs on 24H2 anymore, so my last option is to probably roll back to Windows 11 23H2, but the "rollback option" was greyed out for over 10 days.

Is it possible to downgrade to Windows 11 23H2 without losing any data? Thanks.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Recovery and backup

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

57 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-02-25T12:37:02+00:00

    Hi, I am afraid I cannot help you there. There are too many factors at play.

    How Old is your laptop? Can it cope with the latest version?

    Usually you can roll back. I had at the time I wrote found out not only about the 10 days but also another method (this one I forgot already how)

    But here is a link https://www.windowslatest.com/2025/01/29/rollback-to-windows-11-23h2-uninstall-windows-11-24h2-and-downgrade-how-to/

    This is how to do it within the 10 days.

    However, I suggest you check other things within windows.

    I was having an issue at first. But then I downloaded another update which was listed on the Update section and it somehow started working properly.

    If you mention Specially in Gaming, then it is possible that the Game is not compatible with the new 24H2 version.

    Make a back up of everything you need even windows, and try to revert.

    I always keep all my programs no matter what in a different partition than windows. C: is for me only windows. the rest is outside that partition. That way, I always can back to most my programs, in spite of the fact that configurations are mostly stored within windows profiles.

    I run both Laptop and a Desktop. I Updated both. The desktop gave me smaller issues, the Laptop did not. But then the laptop is just an office and web platform.

    I only update windows every 5 weeks. sometimes every 10. (old school "never change a running system"). That means I have Updates blocked.

    I also, have everything to do with telemetry, that is reporting back to MS what goes on with my windows, and I have blocked anything Google and Microsoft, almost, also Edge is not being used and I placed all my default files onto other programs. From Pictures to to music to Browsers, etc.

    But that is me.

    Good luck with that. I can tell MS is not very helpful and If we do not learnt ourselves we get nowhere, as you ca see here.

    Best wishes and good health wherever you are my friend. I hope far away from wars and fake pandemics. Stay healthy and be wise.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-02-24T12:41:28+00:00

    hi,thanks for the information

    but anyway,can i go back to the previous version after 10 days of installing the new win version?im new on desktop so i really afraid to uninstalling anything from another source,this is my fourth days of using the 24h2 version and its really full of bug, specially for gaming expirience

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-02-22T04:29:23+00:00

    There's a button in Recovery Options (System > Recovery) that is something like "Roll back update".

    It's available once you're on the 24H2 while it's still considered a preview. I just got 24H2 forced down my throat and it broke several things - spent about an hour researching and decided to just system restore. Went looking for the Win11 option to do it and found this new one.

    It should be in System > Recovery and under "Recovery options" there is a button that will appear that says "roll back update", with a subtext of "roll back preview and go back to previous windows image"

    It's where my crudely drawn arrow is pointing - I just rolled back so the option is gone for me, since 23H2 is the last stable release.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-02-15T13:21:04+00:00

    Same here! I have a Ryzen cpu aswell.

    • My battery life went down from~4h to 1h. The crazy part is that my battery life is really bad, even if I limit the CPU clock to 1ghz, which I did for testing.
    • The fans never power off.

    It is a mess! If i only knew before. I would recommend anybody to prevent this update via GPO, especially if you run windows on a laptop.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-02-12T16:52:36+00:00

    Just bought a new desktop, was having trouble with it saying my windows version was expired or out of date and the only fix was to update to 24H2. So I did that and now there is issues with plug-ins that are NOT supported. I am about done with Windows. Next computer will be a MAC , with Apple at least they fix something and it's fixed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments