windows 11 version 24H2 not updating

Anonymous
2024-10-21T02:42:27+00:00

i keep trying to update the latest one which is windows 11 version 24H2, but i keep getting the " We couldn't update the system reserved partition" I'm not that good with computers so if someone can help me resolve this issue that would be dope!

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Ivan B 124.5K Reputation points Independent Advisor
2024-10-24T12:55:21+00:00

Hi ,

Search for cmd. Press-and-hold or right-click on Command Prompt in the results, and select Run as administrator.

At the command prompt, type mountvol y: /s and then hit Enter. This will add the Y: drive letter to access the System Partition.

Switch to the Y drive by typing Y: and press Enter. Then, navigate to the Fonts folder by typing cd EFI\Microsoft\Boot\Fonts. Once there, type del *.* to delete font files. The system may ask you if you are sure to continue, press Y and then Enter to continue.

Credits.: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/-we-c...

Hope this helps.

If you find the answer helpful, please mark it as an answer.

Independent Advisor - Community

Thanks

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-12-23T16:49:23+00:00

    And the Microsoft Reserved Partition is in the way of extending the EFI System Partition, right?

    What do you mean, "The reason you cannot move this in MiniTool is because it's MiniTool"? Is there another way that I could move the MRS partition? AOMEI also doesn't let me.

    And more importantly, should I move it? Or delete it? Please elaborate a bit more. It seems important, but you also seem to imply I should just delete it. Does it not matter then? Or can it be remade after the fact?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-12-23T16:18:40+00:00

    My second partition listed here at 16 MB is the Microsoft Reserved Partition, right?

    Right. The reason you cannot move this in MiniTool is because it's MiniTool. The reason you cannot move it in AOMEI is because there is drive C next to it.

    The partition that requires extending is the EFI System Partition, given there are less than 10 MB free on it. This is the partition referred to in the message "We couldn't update the system reserved partition". The GPT partition style's equivalent to System Reserved is the EFI System Partition.

    Now moving Microsoft Reserved to the right would require you to shrink drive C from the left side first, or moving the entire drive to the right.

    Deleting the Microsoft Reserved partition would give you a total of 26 MB of free space on EFI System (after extending), which would enable the Upgrade as well.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-12-23T15:12:39+00:00

    Could you clarify this for me?

    I don't think I saw this distinction anywhere before, the naming is really confusing. This is also the first time I heard of Microsoft Reserved Partition. I have 3 tools installed for this problem alone, and only one shows this name.

    My second partition listed here at 16 MB is the Microsoft Reserved Partition, right? What should I do with it? What should I do with the first partition?

    It can't be moved, and I'm not sure I should delete it. Supposedly it has important functionality: reddit comment.

    This is what I see with MiniTool:

    And this is what I see with AOMEI:

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-12-23T14:25:27+00:00

    The Microsoft Reserved Partition is not to be confused with System Reserved.

    Image

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments