Just updated to Win11 24H2 and it has killed Windows Hello!

Anonymous
2024-10-02T10:47:46+00:00

I have an HP All-in-One 27-a275na.

All was working well under Win11 23H2 and just downloaded the ISO for Win11 24H2. Kept only my data to get the benefit of having the best possible install and then reinstalled only the latest versions of the apps I wanted.

Have checked for corrupted files (none found), deleted the Facial Recognition (Windows Hello) Software Device in Device Manager & Rebooted.

On restart the machine fails to start camera and asks for PIN and then when I try to setup Windows Hello Facial Recognition I get the Error Message " Sorry, something went wrong. Couldn't turn on Camera. Make sure it's working properly.

On checking the camera app it all appears to be working properly, and the windows settings allow apps to contact it!

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Accounts, profiles, and login

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-10-15T06:35:17+00:00

    Hi there,

    I had the same issue on my HP Z-book with front camera / Windows Hello not working after 24H2 update. Today I just uninstalled from the device manager list both the HP camera driver and IR camera driver and then restarted the system. Suddently Hello camera login on startup worked like before the update.

    Both drivers said they are installed in their latest versions before my uninstall.

    Unfortunately I don't know the proper reason of the issue and not sure if this works for you, but maybe worth a try today. Maybe MS already adressed this issue?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-10-15T08:28:38+00:00

    In my case I think that the Upgrade a/. deleted the Hello data that existed b/. caused the IR camera driver not to operate.

    Why it then restarted? I had replaced the IR driver to seemingly no effect, but I wonder if Windows Fast Start meant that the system didn't get a proper "refresh" immediately and it wasn't until such time as a subsequent upgrade forced a full Windows restart that the refreshed driver came into action?

    I think if anyone is still experiencing this issue they should a/. replace or refresh their IR Camera Driver and b/. go into settings and temporarily disable Fast restart.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-10-15T08:51:23+00:00

    I will try this later. Just not now as i dont have too much time.

    However i will say that to Hajek that i tried multiple restarts and still had the problem.

    did the uninstalls and that made no difference either.

    I wont be going to 24h2 for a bit im sure as disabling my camera is not an option in my line of work :(

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-11-25T16:59:44+00:00

    Hi, same problem since update my MS SURFACE PRO 9 INTEL (from 23H2), camera is not detected from Windows hello (no pb with cam app). When i roll back to 23h2 no problem. But windows 24h2 always reinstalling...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-11-25T17:15:21+00:00

    Update the IR camera software and hopefully after a couple of days WIN 11 will sort it's life out!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments