Just updated to Win11 24H2 and it has killed Windows Hello!

Anonymous
2024-10-02T10:47:46+00:00

I have an HP All-in-One 27-a275na.

All was working well under Win11 23H2 and just downloaded the ISO for Win11 24H2. Kept only my data to get the benefit of having the best possible install and then reinstalled only the latest versions of the apps I wanted.

Have checked for corrupted files (none found), deleted the Facial Recognition (Windows Hello) Software Device in Device Manager & Rebooted.

On restart the machine fails to start camera and asks for PIN and then when I try to setup Windows Hello Facial Recognition I get the Error Message " Sorry, something went wrong. Couldn't turn on Camera. Make sure it's working properly.

On checking the camera app it all appears to be working properly, and the windows settings allow apps to contact it!

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Accounts, profiles, and login

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. DaveM121 935.1K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2024-10-02T11:23:27+00:00

    Hi, I am Dave, I will help you with this.

    The webcam drivers used for the Photos app are different from the drivers for the Infrared functionality required for Windows Hello, below is the support page for your PC on the HP website, from the Driver-Enabling section, donwlaod and re-install the version of IR webcam drivers they provide.

    https://support.hp.com/ie-en/drivers/hp-pavilio...

    ________________________________________________________

    Standard Disclaimer: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

    .

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. DaveM121 935.1K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2024-10-02T11:49:12+00:00

    Just checking with you, how are you proceeding with this problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-10-02T11:52:07+00:00

    Installed as suggested, but hasn't done anything different!

    Under Device Manager I find HP IR Camera. I tried searching to see if there was a more recent version of the driver but nothing found.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. DaveM121 935.1K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2024-10-02T12:12:24+00:00

    Thank you for that information, right click your Start Button and open Device Manager, please provide a screenshot of that window.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-10-02T12:22:45+00:00

    I think this is the information equested.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments