Just updated to Win11 24H2 and it has killed Windows Hello!

Anonymous
2024-10-02T10:47:46+00:00

I have an HP All-in-One 27-a275na.

All was working well under Win11 23H2 and just downloaded the ISO for Win11 24H2. Kept only my data to get the benefit of having the best possible install and then reinstalled only the latest versions of the apps I wanted.

Have checked for corrupted files (none found), deleted the Facial Recognition (Windows Hello) Software Device in Device Manager & Rebooted.

On restart the machine fails to start camera and asks for PIN and then when I try to setup Windows Hello Facial Recognition I get the Error Message " Sorry, something went wrong. Couldn't turn on Camera. Make sure it's working properly.

On checking the camera app it all appears to be working properly, and the windows settings allow apps to contact it!

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Accounts, profiles, and login

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. DaveM121 935.1K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2024-10-02T14:26:14+00:00

    24H2 was only released yesterday and there are some problems reported in that update, but I have not seen any problems with Windows Hello facial recognition listed, the best option may be to report this on the feedback hub (Windows Key + F) to their developers, they may be able to resolve this with a patch for 24H2.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-10-02T14:18:06+00:00

    The main issue I think with PCI drivers is that this relates to an internal WiFi5 card that I am not using as I have an external WiFi 6 device.

    In their infinite wisdom HP decided not to support Windows 11 on this device, so there are no further driver updates.

    Still not sure why Windows Hello, doesn't work under 24H2 as did under 23H2.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. DaveM121 935.1K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2024-10-02T13:02:55+00:00

    Thank you for the screenshot, your chipset drivers are not installed correctly.

    Go to the support page for your PC on the HP website, then from there, download and install the version of Chipset drivers they recommend and while there, if you do not have your drive encrypted with Bitlocker, check for any BIOS update that may need to be installed

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-10-02T12:22:45+00:00

    I think this is the information equested.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. DaveM121 935.1K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2024-10-02T12:12:24+00:00

    Thank you for that information, right click your Start Button and open Device Manager, please provide a screenshot of that window.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments