Just updated to Win11 24H2 and it has killed Windows Hello!

Anonymous
2024-10-02T10:47:46+00:00

I have an HP All-in-One 27-a275na.

All was working well under Win11 23H2 and just downloaded the ISO for Win11 24H2. Kept only my data to get the benefit of having the best possible install and then reinstalled only the latest versions of the apps I wanted.

Have checked for corrupted files (none found), deleted the Facial Recognition (Windows Hello) Software Device in Device Manager & Rebooted.

On restart the machine fails to start camera and asks for PIN and then when I try to setup Windows Hello Facial Recognition I get the Error Message " Sorry, something went wrong. Couldn't turn on Camera. Make sure it's working properly.

On checking the camera app it all appears to be working properly, and the windows settings allow apps to contact it!

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Accounts, profiles, and login

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-10-04T08:46:55+00:00

    It was only my Windows Hello Facial Sign-in that was broken in my case. Did various actions and nothing seemed to fix. Then yesterday just turned on PC and camera started working and was able to configure Hello and problem solved.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. DaveM121 935.1K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2024-10-03T11:29:52+00:00

    That is great news, I am glad this is resolved!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-10-03T11:27:11+00:00

    Surprise! Despite my computer having been turned off/on many times since I completed all the updates suggested without success, today when it started the camera lights flashed (although failed to register) and I was then able to setup Windows Hello! RESULT :-))

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. DaveM121 935.1K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2024-10-02T15:33:04+00:00

    Okay, I understand, hopefully they will put out some patches for the problems people are finding in that new update.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-10-02T15:31:35+00:00

    Given how long it took to get 24H2 installed I think I can struggle on without Windows Hello for the present.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments