Error with the ene.sys driver

Anonymous
2024-11-12T12:10:00+00:00

For the past few days when I load my PC up, a pop-up will appear saying "a driver cannot load on this device". I have done countless things like updating my PC seeing if that works, uninstalling those updates, trying to relocate the file in C:\Windows\System32\drivers which doesn't show at all and going through troubleshooting. None of these things have been able to work and the error still pops up. Please could I have help on what to do I have have hit a dead end on what to do. The error is shown on the top.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-03-04T16:32:22+00:00

    Worked! Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-02-16T23:14:10+00:00

    Yep, let's hope the creator of the software will update it...

    Oh wait, when I open the properties of the file, it is signed by some micro company, doing something with software apparently.
    Ever heard of them? They call themselves Microsoft.

    Signer information:

    Name: Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher

    Signing Time: ‎Thursday, ‎October ‎17, ‎2019 4:21:13

    CN = Microsoft Windows Third Party Component CA 2014

    O = Microsoft Corporation

    L = Redmond

    S = Washington

    C = US

    I have removed anything that could be related to games drivers, enhancers or anything that could be related to RGB from the vendor of my mainboard and this error keeps popping up when I start the PC.

    So either their uninstallers didn't care to remove that file, or were not the ones to have installed the file.

    The suggested sc query as suggested at the beginning of the thread did not yield anything and the only thing visible in the properties window for this ene.sys file is the embedded signature and Microsoft's time-stamp counter signature to validate the signing timestamp.

    Looking for matching install dates of programs on Windows from around that time is also a bit hard, since Windows did reset at least half of my install dates of software to yesterday when Windows was updated to 24H2.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-02-15T22:42:40+00:00

    I have been using this driver for 3+ years. Why is it suddenly a problem after a highly problematic Windows update that currently has me on my knees for multiple reasons? Why is this particular driver suddenly a problem, after 3+ years of usage?!!? And, don't give me the non-answer response that is 99% the case on this Microsoft Community. Either answer my question or move on.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-02-15T21:20:19+00:00

    Thanks Rick - a much more effective and simpler quick fix than the BS being put around and I get to keep using the RGB driver.

    Much appreciated

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-02-14T09:34:23+00:00

    So really the solution is to get your RGB software updated.

    Hm .... which mine is, and I still get the error.

    Using ASUS ROG stuff myself.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments