Critical System Issues Following Windows 11 24H2 Update: Boot Errors, System Freeze, and Bitlocker Access Denied

Anonymous
2025-01-15T14:00:56+00:00

Two days back I received the Windows 11 24H2 Update on my system "HP Omen 16". Following the installation, I observed two identical entries for 'Windows 11 on volume 3' within the boot menu. No selection was made, and the system successfully logged into Windows after a 30-second delay.

The following workday, I consulted with our IT department regarding this behavior. Upon restarting the system in their presence, the dual boot entries reappeared. Attempts to select between the entries were unsuccessful. Proceeding to 'Change defaults or choose other options' and selecting the 'Repair' option resulted in a system freeze, characterized by an automatic reboot loop.

Subsequent attempts at system recovery using built-in tools encountered the following error:

"Your PC/Device needs to be repaired.

A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed.

Error Code: 0xc0000225"

![](https://learn-attachment.microsoft.com/api/attachments/d99e4b91-e430-4162-a12e-e9bb43699141?platform=QnA

Furthermore, accessing the Recovery Environment by pressing F1 also resulted in a system freeze and reboot loop.

Efforts to utilize a bootable USB drive for recovery were hindered by a request for the Bitlocker Encryption key. It is suspected that the Bitlocker keys may have been invalidated or altered during the Windows 11 24H2 update process, as previously saved keys are no longer functional.

Could anyone please advise/assist on how to proceed? Additionally, I’d like to confirm if there are any extra steps I should take to avoid BitLocker recovery issues while performing this.https://learn-attachment.microsoft.com/api/attachments/e8b5c6b5-ddd4-45e1-a55e-3e0f9b2c43f9?platform=QnA

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-03-17T17:29:18+00:00

    Go to THE WINDOWS CLUB.

    They have a fix.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Airbus A350 8,015 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2025-03-17T15:59:04+00:00

    Hello,

    I would recommend making a bootable Windows USB and then pushing Shift + F10 when you reach Windows Setup and typing bootrec /rebuildbcd and then push enter.

    Let me know how this goes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-03-17T15:30:32+00:00

    Yup, I found this back in October around when 24H2 came out but back then noone else reported it yet. Still not patched by Microsoft.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-03-17T15:07:38+00:00

    Hello, Airbus A350,

    I wouldn't say that I solved anything. The only difference that I can see is that after the initial Windows Update failure/error that killed my Windows OS, I tried to fix things, like the MBR, and Bootrec backup image files, as was suggested by the error codes. This last install of Windows 11, did not require any "fixes".

    I reinstalled Windows 11 after the update that crashed it. I was never to see which update crashed it as it never started Windows. After the reinstall, I reinstalled Office and a day or two after, Adobe Master Collection. I received a unable to load a dll file, but Adobe appeared to run.

    All was good for about a day or two. Then another updated loaded. Unfortunately, I don't know which one, because I was unable to start Windows, again. I tried all the suggested fixes, the built-in repair mechanism, repair from an installation USB, a Command program repair using, Chkdsk, ScanOS, MBR, and BootRec fixes, etc, but was never able to get to Windows. I think that that the MBR or GPT, not sure which, was corrupted but unrecoverable. I even used Co-Pilot to suggest methods, which worked up to a point, but the GPT was too damaged. The OS recognized the partitions, but did not recognize the Windows OS. The drive was healthy otherwise.

    Sigh, I created a fresh install USB drive and installed a new, clean version of Windows on Thursday. I purposely did not install other programs after Thursday, not even a different browser. Several updates were installed. I was at Windows 11 Pro 24H2 and then updated with KB5048779, KB5050575, KB5053598, KB5049622, and KB5050577 which were successfully installed. Various driver files such as Intel driver, Intel Software Components, Realtek, and Cirrus files (categorized as driver updates) failed to install, but eventually did install successfully. In the previous, before Thursday Windows installation, some of these files continued to install several times after the first successful install. This did not occur, this time. I had changed the update settings. In the Advance Options for Windows Update, I turned OFF Receive updates for other Microsoft products and Get me up to date. I also set Notify me when a restart is required to finish updating. I did not install an optional update (for HP software component 4.2.2437.0).

    Then I created a System Restore point as I had not experienced any errors. Please note that Creating a Restore Point must be turned on! You can back-up the Boot Configuration Data (BCD) system store file. Besides backing up the drive or at least the WIndows partition, I couldn't see a way to back up the GPT.

    I plan to install MS Office, today and maybe Adobe Master Collection tomorrow and see what happens.

    I am upset that I've wasted so many hours with all of these REQUIRED, NO OPTION updates. I resent being an UNPAID, Microsoft employee and worse yet, I paid for Windows 11 Pro! At least with Linux, I have a choice whether to upgrade.

    Good luck everyone!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-03-17T14:17:29+00:00

    It did not solve my problem!

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments