Verifying sending to wrong email

Anonymous
2025-02-23T00:17:20+00:00

I cannot verify my account at all. I changed my password and when I tried to sync my one drive it sends the code to my old email and will not allow me to change out into a new method. It only allows me to send it to my old email that the site was shut down years ago. I have a new email set up so when I change the password I can. I have no idea why to verify wants to go to a different email. I also have my phone number in it, but it will not send a code to my phone. It will only send the code to my outdated phone.

So, now I can't link everything together and technically I do not have my laptop synced either (even though it is the same laptop I have had for years).

There is no way for me to switch out to another method to verify.

I tried calling the number and the machine told me it won't do anything and I had to go online and now online I have to post this question. This is why I hate changing my password.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Recovery and backup

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
EmilyS726 269.8K Reputation points Independent Advisor
2025-02-25T01:42:48+00:00

Ok good, when you go to Windows settings > accounts > Your info, does it still ask that you need to update your info?

Can you now log into OneDrive?

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
EmilyS726 269.8K Reputation points Independent Advisor
2025-02-25T00:44:03+00:00

No, changing alias will not help in this case.

Back to your computer on Windows, try these steps:

Go to Settings > Accounts > Your info

Click on Sign in with local user instead. follow the steps and finish the rest.

(If you don't see the "sign in with a local account instead option, click on "Stop signing into Microsoft apps automatically" first, then relaunch this page. )

Restart the computer (Do Not skip)

Go to Settings > Accounts > Your info

Click on Sign in with Microsoft account instead. follow the steps and finish the rest

Restart the computer (Do Not skip)

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. EmilyS726 269.8K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2025-02-23T02:04:29+00:00

    So in another word, the email you added 4 years ago is not effective because you no longer have access to it, and the phone number is in the 30-day waiting period, right?

    In this case, there's unfortunately nothing you can do until the 30-day wait is over.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-02-23T01:59:25+00:00

    My phone is yes my email is no. My phone I added the number not too long ago (like less than a week ago). My email I added about 4 years ago when the og email website was shut down.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. EmilyS726 269.8K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2025-02-23T01:36:01+00:00

    Hello,

    Any chance you have already updated your email and phone number, but you are in the 30 days wait? Security information update will take 30 days to take effect. This 30-day waiting policy is intended to protect users whose contact information has been changed by someone else so that they have enough time to reverse the change. This is a security policy that no one can bypass unfortunately. You can read about this policy here: https://support.microsoft.com/account-billing/-....

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments