Verifying sending to wrong email

Anonymous
2025-02-23T00:17:20+00:00

I cannot verify my account at all. I changed my password and when I tried to sync my one drive it sends the code to my old email and will not allow me to change out into a new method. It only allows me to send it to my old email that the site was shut down years ago. I have a new email set up so when I change the password I can. I have no idea why to verify wants to go to a different email. I also have my phone number in it, but it will not send a code to my phone. It will only send the code to my outdated phone.

So, now I can't link everything together and technically I do not have my laptop synced either (even though it is the same laptop I have had for years).

There is no way for me to switch out to another method to verify.

I tried calling the number and the machine told me it won't do anything and I had to go online and now online I have to post this question. This is why I hate changing my password.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Recovery and backup

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
EmilyS726 269.8K Reputation points Independent Advisor
2025-02-25T01:42:48+00:00

Ok good, when you go to Windows settings > accounts > Your info, does it still ask that you need to update your info?

Can you now log into OneDrive?

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
EmilyS726 269.8K Reputation points Independent Advisor
2025-02-25T00:44:03+00:00

No, changing alias will not help in this case.

Back to your computer on Windows, try these steps:

Go to Settings > Accounts > Your info

Click on Sign in with local user instead. follow the steps and finish the rest.

(If you don't see the "sign in with a local account instead option, click on "Stop signing into Microsoft apps automatically" first, then relaunch this page. )

Restart the computer (Do Not skip)

Go to Settings > Accounts > Your info

Click on Sign in with Microsoft account instead. follow the steps and finish the rest

Restart the computer (Do Not skip)

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-02-25T00:20:57+00:00

    My phone was only just added so I would have to wait...

    Should I change out my email?

    My alias is still named after my old email, even though I have the account set up to send everything to my working email.

    Do this where I add a new one and remove the old outdated one permanently so my Microsoft account name is no longer my old email? Is that why I am having issues? Because even though I have it so I get my stuff through my email I have now, but Microsoft account name is still my old email? Is it just set up to send verification through the email the Microsoft account is named after?

    Image

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. EmilyS726 269.8K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2025-02-25T00:05:09+00:00

    What if you turn on two-step, try that. See if it would then forces it to use the current contact info.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-02-24T23:58:40+00:00

    yes it is. I can also sign into things normally but when it comes to verifying it says the whole 'sensitive information' part and wants to send a new code to the wrong email address. I am not having issues logging into anything else. The sensitive information part popped up and wants to send a code to the wrong email.

    I think it is because it is saying it is sensitive information is why it is doing this. I highlighted it in yellow where it says that. Only when I am verifying does it pop up but basic log ins like into my online account is not asking for it.

    Again I am not having issues logging into anything else like my online Microsoft account it is the verifying part right after when it comes to the onedrive and now the computer itself.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments