0xc1900101-0x30017 error when upgrading Windows 10 to 11 - ASUS Zenbook Flip S

Anonymous
2025-02-09T17:33:00+00:00

Been trying to upgrade my laptop to Windows 11 for the past few days now with very little success. Whether I use the install assistant or a USB formatted by the Media Creation Tool, the installation process keeps throwing up the INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error and reverting back again. I've tried various solutions to fix this problem, from updating or installing whatever programs I felt might impact the installation to resetting the settings on my BIOS. I want to avoid having to do a clean install and wiping my laptop if possible.

I've also been running SetupDiag and seeing if I can make sense of the logs, but I'm unfortunately not at all knowledgeable in this field. I'll put a link to the log.zip file from my latest install attempt here:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjBTgjb2fAligsFHjywzNkjLYbALWg?e=Djyxoc 

If there is any more information you need, please let me know.https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjBTgjb2fAligsFHjywzNkjLYbALWg?e=DjyxocIf

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T22:43:59+00:00

The computer should boot to the desktop when performing an in place upgrade repair.

There is no boot to a flash drive for an in place upgrade repair.

Please see the tutorial links for mounting the iso.

See if there is something useful in this Asus video on IRST and VMD:

https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1044458/

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-14T13:52:17+00:00

I have some great news; after some searching, I found out how to disable VMD on my computer and switch it from RAID to AHCI. I had to set the computer to Safe Boot before going into the BIOS to disable the VMD controller mode. When it booted up, it automatically installed a AHCI driver in place of the VMD-based driver that was controlling the storage drive, after which I disabled safe boot and it booted up normally. This was the guide I ended up following: https://superuser.com/a/1359471

The Windows 10 in-place upgrade went without a hitch, and so did the Windows 11 upgrade! The VMD controller turned out to be the culprit behind the boot drive not being detected during installation. Thanks so much for helping me out!

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-03-13T19:08:59+00:00

    Download the newest Windows 10 MCT to the desktop:

    Download Windows 10

    Place the computer into clean boot:

    Perform a Clean Boot in Windows 10 to Troubleshoot Software Conflicts | Tutorials

    Perform an in place upgrade repair while in clean boot:

    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade | Tutorials

    If this is successful then upgrade to Windows 11:

    Upgrade to Windows 11 | Windows 11 Forum

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-03-13T18:15:38+00:00

    Yes, I was able to boot the computer back up without needing startup repair.

    Was able to run almost all of these commands, although reagentc apparently wasn't recognised whilst booted to the MCT USB when I tried to run the commands there, and trying it while booted to the computer itself throws up "The Windows RE image was not found." Otherwise, the partition has been made and is recognised as a recovery partition, even if I can't seem to enable it.

    https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/qnd52ynh57jh7237vy3su/AEr10jTKJSix4-65iyZQOgU?rlkey=xbfvpnjvnpg2obpom8pduwuzm&st=nlk32tza&dl=0

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-03-13T17:49:15+00:00

    Were you able to boot without startup repair in the prior steps?

    Please post these Win RE command results:

    diskpart

    sel dis 0

    sel par 2

    shrink desired=1100

    create partition primary

    format quick fs=ntfs label="winRE"

    set id="de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac"

    gpt attributes=0x8000000000000001

    exit

    reagentc /enable

    reagentc /info

    Post a new disk management and disk par info

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments