0xc1900101-0x30017 error when upgrading Windows 10 to 11 - ASUS Zenbook Flip S

Anonymous
2025-02-09T17:33:00+00:00

Been trying to upgrade my laptop to Windows 11 for the past few days now with very little success. Whether I use the install assistant or a USB formatted by the Media Creation Tool, the installation process keeps throwing up the INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error and reverting back again. I've tried various solutions to fix this problem, from updating or installing whatever programs I felt might impact the installation to resetting the settings on my BIOS. I want to avoid having to do a clean install and wiping my laptop if possible.

I've also been running SetupDiag and seeing if I can make sense of the logs, but I'm unfortunately not at all knowledgeable in this field. I'll put a link to the log.zip file from my latest install attempt here:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjBTgjb2fAligsFHjywzNkjLYbALWg?e=Djyxoc 

If there is any more information you need, please let me know.https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjBTgjb2fAligsFHjywzNkjLYbALWg?e=DjyxocIf

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T22:43:59+00:00

The computer should boot to the desktop when performing an in place upgrade repair.

There is no boot to a flash drive for an in place upgrade repair.

Please see the tutorial links for mounting the iso.

See if there is something useful in this Asus video on IRST and VMD:

https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1044458/

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-14T13:52:17+00:00

I have some great news; after some searching, I found out how to disable VMD on my computer and switch it from RAID to AHCI. I had to set the computer to Safe Boot before going into the BIOS to disable the VMD controller mode. When it booted up, it automatically installed a AHCI driver in place of the VMD-based driver that was controlling the storage drive, after which I disabled safe boot and it booted up normally. This was the guide I ended up following: https://superuser.com/a/1359471

The Windows 10 in-place upgrade went without a hitch, and so did the Windows 11 upgrade! The VMD controller turned out to be the culprit behind the boot drive not being detected during installation. Thanks so much for helping me out!

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-03-13T10:48:28+00:00

    When booting from the installation media USB, " bcdedit | find "osdevice" " gives no results and "bcdedit" throws up "The requested system device cannot be identified due to multiple indistinguishable devices potentially matching the identification criteria". Looking it up, it seems that the multiple EFI partitions are to blame. Should I delete one of them and then carry on with this list of commands?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-03-13T01:33:07+00:00

    Please boot to Windows MCT (iso) > windows RE > command prompt > type:

    bcdedit | find "osdevice"

    bcdedit

    diskpart

    sel dis 0

    lis vol

    lis par

    sel par 1

    det par

    sel par 2

    det par

    sel par 3

    det par

    sel par 4

    det par

    Post a share link.

    If you're available now we can make some modifications with multiple posts.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-03-12T20:20:53+00:00

    So, when I was first following your instructions, it would not allow me to delete that first partition, and I thought that perhaps I would need to run it through RE, except that I could no longer access that anymore. Ended up restoring from the backup I made earlier (had to use a bootable USB and temporarily disable the VMD controller for Acronis to detect my NVMe drive), and while it seemed to restore correctly, the file for RE was still not in the System32/Recovery folder that I read it was supposed to be in.

    Went through your commands again and thought that the partition (labelled SYSTEM) I was told to delete was a vital partition (i.e. the OS itself), as it was not allowing me to delete it, so I instead deleted both recovery partitions (which in hindsight, I should probably make another one) and made the EFI partition before trying to upgrade again. Still throwing up Bug Check 0x7B, and I only now realise that partition I couldn't delete was in fact the EFI partition, and now I have two, with the new one presumably being the 1.2GB partition. I must admit that I didn't quite understand your instructions and should probably have asked for more clarification before making assumptions on what to do.

    Either way, here's the log file of me going through the commands a second time, as well as a screenshot of how my Disk Management window is currently looking:

    https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/21d35yd9awkroa2tzq6rn/AIz3wx_FGnPw33ExiXfVcS4?rlkey=5mj0erkhrckhd66d705p3wozv&st=3uz4dt3z&dl=0

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments