Standard Disclaimer: There is a link to a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to provide accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as PUPs (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.
I am trying to install Chinese basic typing, and it doesn't want to install?
I installed the Chinese language pack on my only one-month old computer, and when I try to install the "basic typing", the "handwriting", the "text-to-speech" and the "basic speech recognition", it installs in a second (because they are all 1 megabyte), then 2 seconds later, the download button appears again. What type of mess is this? This is a new computer as well so why is Windows having this weird issue?
I can't even upload an image on this website because it keeps "failing to upload".
Windows for home | Windows 11 | Input and language
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
53 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Ramesh Srinivasan 88,100 Reputation points Independent Advisor
2025-03-05T11:16:10+00:00 The settings are correct.
- After running DISM, does the Chinese (Simplified) language pack show up correctly in Settings? If it doesn't, you can run these commands from admin PowerShell. OldList = Get-WinUserLanguageList $OldList.Add("zh-CN") Set-WinUserLanguageList -LanguageList $OldList
- To investigate the policy settings, please download RegScanner from Nirsoft.net and run it.
https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/regscanner.html
Configure the search options as in this screenshot.
Perform a search. Once the search is complete, select all items and press Ctrl + S to save the listing to a text file.
Share the text file on OneDrive.
-
Anonymous
2025-03-05T11:09:47+00:00 C:\Windows\System32>reg query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Control Panel\International" /s
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Control Panel\International
BlockCleanupOfUnusedPreinstalledLangPacks REG\_DWORD 0x1C:\Windows\System32>
C:\Windows\System32>reg query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Servicing" /s
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Servicing
CountryCode REG\_SZ AUHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Servicing\FOD
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Servicing\FOD\Media.DolbyFeaturePack~~~~
OOBEComplete REG\_DWORD 0x0C:\Windows\System32>
C:\Windows\System32>reg query "HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\InputMethod" /s
ERROR: The system was unable to find the specified registry key or value.
C:\Windows\System32>
C:\Windows\System32>reg query "HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\MUI" /s
ERROR: The system was unable to find the specified registry key or value.
C:\Windows\System32>
C:\Windows\System32>reg query "HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\InputPersonalization" /s
ERROR: The system was unable to find the specified registry key or value.
-
Ramesh Srinivasan 88,100 Reputation points Independent Advisor
2025-03-05T11:06:25+00:00 The notification "Some of these are managed by your organization" denotes some policies are enabled, perhaps via the registry.
The following commands from a Command Prompt window check if there any localization-related policies in effect.
reg query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Control Panel\International" /s reg query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Servicing" /s reg query "HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\InputMethod" /s reg query "HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\MUI" /s reg query "HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\InputPersonalization" /sIf the error "ERROR: The system was unable to find the specified registry key or value." occurs for a command, ignore it and run the next command.
Post the output here.
-
Anonymous
2025-03-05T10:54:23+00:00 DISM commands run fine. Do you want me to mount the FOD iso again?
Also I notice on my settings (before I had done anything) that on the language and region page it says, "Some of these are managed by your organisation", but I am not using a business or a school laptop, so I am a bit confused as to why that is there?
If I don't reply after a long time, it is because Microsoft's website says "Oops! Something went wrong. Please try again." And won't let me type for another idk minutes.