Unable to access the Advanced Startup Options (WinRE)

Anonymous
2025-04-17T13:20:49+00:00

Since I upgraded to version 24H2 of Windows 11 Pro, when I try to access the Advanced Startup Options menu (Settings > System > Recovery > Advanced startup), after rebooting the system crashes with a BSOD :(

The only information provided is:

Stop Code: ATTEMPTED WRITE TO READONLY MEMORY

Does this mean that the recovery partition is corrupt? How can I fix it? Please note that this is not a clean install of Windows 11, but a previous version of Windows 10 that I upgraded to Windows 11.

Thanks!

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Recovery and backup

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Ramesh 182K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2025-05-02T16:30:51+00:00

Perfect: is there any specific instruction I can follow to do that?

Here are the instructions. There was also a PowerShell script to automate the task. https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/add-update-to-winre?view=windows-11

Example (the OP was using Windows 10 PC, though) https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/windows-10-update-kb5057589-error-0x80070643-april/0f192298-7939-4b58-86a6-a860d0f90f6b?messageId=d5203f12-9904-4d9a-aab6-9637759a9e0a

Anyway, Windows Update will do that automatically. You may wait for the May 2025 Safe OS dynamic update.

Actually, now I'm okay with WinRE in the separate recovery partition and I've no reason to do that. I was just curious to understand how Windows decides whether to look for the WinRE files in the Windows\System32\Recovery directory of the C drive or in the Recovery partition created specifically for this purpose.

When you enable or disable WinRE, the BCD changes. You can see that by running bcdedit /enum all. The winre.wim path will be referenced in the BCD when WinRE is enabled.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Ramesh 182K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2025-05-01T17:40:49+00:00

Hi Moris,

We're not done yet. Wanted to go step by step. I'll let you know once it's done.

Boot into Windows.

From admin Command Prompt, run:

  • diskpart
  • select vol S
  • remove
  • set id=de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac
  • gpt attributes=0x8000000000000001
  • exit
  • reagentc /enable
  • reagentc /info

Post the output.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Ramesh 182K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2025-04-28T07:01:44+00:00
  1. The existing Winre image is good. It's fully updated.

There is no recovery partition. Although Winre.wim can exist in the C drive, creating a separate recovery partition is suggested. However, the C drive might run out of disk space in the future; currently, it has 11 GB of free space. You can use AOMEI or a similar tool to shrink the D drive and create unallocated space before it. Then, extend the C drive as needed.

(or)

Now that you've replaced the wim file, re-enable Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE). It will be placed on the C drive as before.

Run:

reagentc /enable

reagentc /info

If you still get the ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY BSOD error, please share the contents of the C:\Windows\Minidump folder if there are any dump files there.

Enable Memory Integrity. To enable memory integrity in Windows, go to Windows Security > Device security > Core isolation details > Memory integrity. If it shows any incompatible drivers, post the screenshot here.

Run Memory Diagnostics. Diagnose memory problems on your PC: http://hs.windows.microsoft.com/hhweb/content/m-en-us/p-6.2/id-4edd5f80-def2-4d32-965c-116d49fb9872/

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

38 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-05-01T06:19:14+00:00

    Hi Ramesh,

    despite on C drive now I have more than 29 GB of free space, if I try to shrink it with Disk Management I get the warning you can see in the screenshot, and of course 85 MB are not enough for my purpose. Is there a way to bypass this problem, or can I instead shrink the D drive where I have more free space?

    Thanks, regards.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Ramesh 182K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2025-05-01T06:26:06+00:00

    Hi Moris,

    This happens if there are unmovable files at the end of the C drive. From the admin Command Prompt, run:

    wevtutil qe "Application" /q:"*[System[Provider[@Name='Microsoft-Windows-Defrag']]]" /c:3 /f:text /rd:true 
    

    Copy the output and post it here.

    See also:

    I am not able to shrink volume of my C Drive even though alot of space - Microsoft Community: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_11-files/i-am-not-able-to-shrink-volume-of-my-c-drive-even/914340c5-a263-47ad-b8e7-d3b2816a7715?messageId=bf24f120-6ab1-4cf8-85ee-29854594bd50

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments