Unable to access the Advanced Startup Options (WinRE)

Anonymous
2025-04-17T13:20:49+00:00

Since I upgraded to version 24H2 of Windows 11 Pro, when I try to access the Advanced Startup Options menu (Settings > System > Recovery > Advanced startup), after rebooting the system crashes with a BSOD :(

The only information provided is:

Stop Code: ATTEMPTED WRITE TO READONLY MEMORY

Does this mean that the recovery partition is corrupt? How can I fix it? Please note that this is not a clean install of Windows 11, but a previous version of Windows 10 that I upgraded to Windows 11.

Thanks!

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Recovery and backup

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Ramesh 182K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2025-05-02T16:30:51+00:00

Perfect: is there any specific instruction I can follow to do that?

Here are the instructions. There was also a PowerShell script to automate the task. https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/add-update-to-winre?view=windows-11

Example (the OP was using Windows 10 PC, though) https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/windows-10-update-kb5057589-error-0x80070643-april/0f192298-7939-4b58-86a6-a860d0f90f6b?messageId=d5203f12-9904-4d9a-aab6-9637759a9e0a

Anyway, Windows Update will do that automatically. You may wait for the May 2025 Safe OS dynamic update.

Actually, now I'm okay with WinRE in the separate recovery partition and I've no reason to do that. I was just curious to understand how Windows decides whether to look for the WinRE files in the Windows\System32\Recovery directory of the C drive or in the Recovery partition created specifically for this purpose.

When you enable or disable WinRE, the BCD changes. You can see that by running bcdedit /enum all. The winre.wim path will be referenced in the BCD when WinRE is enabled.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Ramesh 182K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2025-05-01T17:40:49+00:00

Hi Moris,

We're not done yet. Wanted to go step by step. I'll let you know once it's done.

Boot into Windows.

From admin Command Prompt, run:

  • diskpart
  • select vol S
  • remove
  • set id=de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac
  • gpt attributes=0x8000000000000001
  • exit
  • reagentc /enable
  • reagentc /info

Post the output.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Ramesh 182K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2025-04-28T07:01:44+00:00
  1. The existing Winre image is good. It's fully updated.

There is no recovery partition. Although Winre.wim can exist in the C drive, creating a separate recovery partition is suggested. However, the C drive might run out of disk space in the future; currently, it has 11 GB of free space. You can use AOMEI or a similar tool to shrink the D drive and create unallocated space before it. Then, extend the C drive as needed.

(or)

Now that you've replaced the wim file, re-enable Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE). It will be placed on the C drive as before.

Run:

reagentc /enable

reagentc /info

If you still get the ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY BSOD error, please share the contents of the C:\Windows\Minidump folder if there are any dump files there.

Enable Memory Integrity. To enable memory integrity in Windows, go to Windows Security > Device security > Core isolation details > Memory integrity. If it shows any incompatible drivers, post the screenshot here.

Run Memory Diagnostics. Diagnose memory problems on your PC: http://hs.windows.microsoft.com/hhweb/content/m-en-us/p-6.2/id-4edd5f80-def2-4d32-965c-116d49fb9872/

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

38 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-05-02T06:01:46+00:00

    Hi Ramesh,

    here it is:

    C:>diskpart

    Microsoft DiskPart version 10.0.26100.1150

    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.

    On computer: GRUMPY-THINKPAD

    DISKPART> select vol S

    Volume 2 is the selected volume.

    DISKPART> remove

    DiskPart successfully removed the drive letter or mount point.

    DISKPART> set id=de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac

    DiskPart successfully set the partition ID.

    DISKPART> gpt attributes=0x8000000000000001

    DiskPart successfully assigned the attributes to the selected GPT partition.

    DISKPART> exit

    Leaving DiskPart...

    C:>reagentc /enable

    REAGENTC.EXE: Operation Successful.

    C:>reagentc /info

    Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE) and system reset configuration

    Information:

    Windows RE status:         Enabled 
    
    Windows RE location:       \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition6\Recovery\WindowsRE 
    
    Boot Configuration Data (BCD) identifier: 56a9b888-271a-11f0-bce0-d46d6d85bf0f 
    
    Recovery image location: 
    
    Recovery image index:      0 
    
    Custom image location: 
    
    Custom image index:        0 
    

    REAGENTC.EXE: Operation Successful.

    Thanks, regards.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-05-01T17:33:39+00:00

    Here it is:

    C:>del c:\windows\system32\recovery\reagent.xml /a

    C:>xcopy /h C:\Windows\System32\Recovery\winre.wim S:\Recovery\WindowsRE\

    C:\Windows\System32\Recovery\Winre.wim

    1 File(s) copied

    C:>reagentc /setreimage /path S:\Recovery\WindowsRE /target C:\Windows

    Directory set to: \?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition6\Recovery\WindowsRE

    REAGENTC.EXE: Operation Successful.

    I also tried accessing the Advanced Boot Options menu and it seems to work, but if I go to the Troubleshoot / Advanced Options menu some options are missing, such as System Image Recovery (from ISO file), while they were there when I accessed WinRE from the C drive.

    Here a pic of the menu as I see it now:

    Thanks, regards.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments