Devices under Microsoft account disappeared after Windows update

Anonymous
2025-05-30T23:14:25+00:00

After running the latest Windows update, my two laptops, xbox controllers stopped getting listed under Microsoft account/devices.I tried all the usual methods including a factory reset, but it still does not work. Under Microsoft Store device management, there is a blank entry and it does not let me unlink it.

It looks like that the link between device and Microsoft account is corrupted or there is a sync issue. I contacted Microsoft support but they are not sure why and asked me to wait 30 days to see if the device list will refresh automatically.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Accounts, profiles, and login

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

51 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-06-10T20:08:13+00:00

    I have more news. Unfortunately, none of it is good.

    First, the 2025-06 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 24H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5060842) was installed today. That did not fix my device not showing up in the Microsoft account device page.

    Second, I tried a repair install (download the Microsoft windows 11 ISO, mount it, run setup, and keep all). This did not fix the problem either.

    The only thing I would have left to try is a clean install, but it sounds like the person who started this thread already did that.

    I guess we have to wait a month and bug Microsoft after that. :-(

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-06-10T20:20:45+00:00

    I found another answer:

    Activated Windows Device Not Listed in My Profile - Microsoft Community

    Recently, Microsoft made changes that now allow only Surface devices to consistently appear under the "Registered Devices" section. If you have third-party devices (such as HP or Dell) it’s not an issue if they don’t appear. There is currently no fix for this behavior, and these devices may or may not show up.

    If that's actually true, it means that the devices are missing "by design".

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-06-12T09:49:45+00:00

    I've had the same issue for about a month after I had to perform a reinstall.

    In account/linked devices it shows my old computer name and it can't be removed.

    The devices list on the Microsoft account page doesnt show my PC, phone or controller anymore. Its either completely blank or I get some strange error string on the website if I try to remove my old device from Windows/accounts/linked devices.

    I created a new outlook address and then a new Microsoft account in order to create a temporary new Windows account and my current computer at least shows up and "find my devices" works.

    It would appear to be an issue with my primary email address since the reinstall. But seen as so many people are having the same problem on here, it would also suggest that whatever this problem is, it is systemic.

    I created a thread looking for help but the lady that was helping me, hasn't got back to me for a couple of days. Going by other people's comments here, there doesn'tappear to be any point in doing a live chat with support either.

    So can you do us all the courtesy of telling us all exactly what this problem is (we know that you know) and tell us how to fix it or if we have to wait for a patch.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-06-15T15:55:49+00:00

    I tried to add XSX controller to my devices list but that also does not work. My controller was on the list already but it disappeared automatically when this issue has started.

    If you have Microsoft device, try the same. This is definitely some sort of sync issue. It has started after the latest windows update few weeks ago when windows was doing auto update on my computer - 24h2.

    I also tried factory resetting, that does not help. Microsoft support recommended to wait 30 days to see if the list gets updated.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-06-16T07:03:12+00:00

    It's a good job I seen this first. I was about to reinstall Windows today to see if that helped. I didn't fancy sacrificing two days getting my machine back to what it was.

    A lot of people seem to be having this it seems. It's not a critical issue but if my laptop was stolen. I wouldn't be able to track it under this primary email account.

    The silence from Microsodt is also quite telling...

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments