Devices under Microsoft account disappeared after Windows update

Anonymous
2025-05-30T23:14:25+00:00

After running the latest Windows update, my two laptops, xbox controllers stopped getting listed under Microsoft account/devices.I tried all the usual methods including a factory reset, but it still does not work. Under Microsoft Store device management, there is a blank entry and it does not let me unlink it.

It looks like that the link between device and Microsoft account is corrupted or there is a sync issue. I contacted Microsoft support but they are not sure why and asked me to wait 30 days to see if the device list will refresh automatically.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Accounts, profiles, and login

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

51 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-06-08T17:34:07+00:00

    I have the same problem. My computer shows up under linked devices but not on the Microsoft Account's device page. I created a local account and signed in with that but it did not help. I tried to sign into Microsoft with the local account, but it told me another account on the machine was already using that Microsoft account (which was my original account). I then signed back into my original account. It did not help.

    I was going to try a repair install, but given what has happened here, it might be better to wait. The really strange thing is that I have three other identical computers configured the same way, and they are not having any issues.

    If anyone has any other suggestions, I would appreciate them.

    By the way:

    "2) Trigger Sync manually by going to Settings > Accounts > Sync your settings and ensure sync is enabled."

    I could not find a sync manually on this page. Am I missing something?

    I am using Windows 11 Pro 24H2

    OS Build 26100.4202

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  3. Anonymous
    2025-06-08T19:02:00+00:00

    Thanks for the information. I appreciate it.

    I forgot to mention that I had also chatted for about an hour today along with a remote connect. We eventually came to the conclusion that I should try a repair install. The computer runs in headless mode, so this requires that I switch some hardware around to do it. Now it really does sound like I should wait. As far as I can tell, it does not affect the computer in any way. I only noticed it missing from the Microsoft account web page because I was there for other reasons. I will keep an eye on it and post here if things change.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-06-08T23:34:42+00:00

    I have the exact same issue, including the blank entry in the Microsoft Store device management.

    Did you skip the oobeSystem configuration pass during the Windows-Setup?

    For example by using OOBE\BYPASSNRO, or start ms-cxh:localonly

    Are you using a privacy tool like O&O ShutUp10 or W10Privacy on your Computer?

    Please go to Start  > Settings  > Privacy & security > Diagnostics & feedback and check if at least Required diagnostic data is enabled.

    It could be that if you don't send any kind of telemetry data, your Windows device can't be added to your Microsoft account.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-06-08T23:47:25+00:00

    Required diagnostic data is being sent.

    As I said earlier, I have three more identical machines configured the same way. Those three are not having any issue. I suspect something with the last update somehow affected my machine that is having problems.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments