sfc /scannow, DISM and Windows 11 Installation not working after KB5058502 failure

Anonymous
2025-06-07T00:01:24+00:00

I'm running Windows 11 and today the update KB5058502 attempted to install. However, an error occurred during the update which let to the system get stuck on "Undoing changes made to your computer", which would never actually complete. Through the use of Windows 11 install media on a USB stick, I was able to change the boot from "Windows Rollback" back to "Windows 11". The system mostly functions (Windows Explorer seems to behave normally and most applications seem to work fine), with a few exceptions:

  • Some applications fail to open with the error "The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail."
  • Steam fails to open with the error "The code execution cannot proceed because C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.windows.common-controIs_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.22621.5262_none_6ebff4ba87ff320e\COMCTL32.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem."
  • sfc /scannow fails with the message "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service." (I checked and trustedInstaller is running)
  • DISM /Online fails with the message "Error: 193 An error occurred while attempting to start the servicing process for the image located at C:. For more information, review the log file."
  • Windows 11 Installation Assistant (trying to repair the Windows install) errors with "Installation failed", followed by "Something went wrong | Select Try again, and if that doesn't work, contact Microsoft support for help. Error code 0x800700c1"
  • Installing the KB5058502 update with the standalone installer fails with the message "This update is not applicable to your computer".

I'm assuming this is all because of corrupted files due to the update failing to install (apart from maybe the Windows 11 installation assistant failing, surely that shouldn't even be using installed files...?) Checking the CBS log, I've found that the following error is repeated over and over: "Failed to create CBS worker - waiting for a second and trying again".

OS Version 10.0.22631 Build 22631

Thanks!

Ben

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Ramesh Srinivasan 88,100 Reputation points Independent Advisor
2025-06-09T02:42:19+00:00

Hi,

The new errors are related to Store apps, and DISM can't fix them.

  1. Download Windows 11 Media Creation Tool (MCT) from this link:

https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=2156295

  1. Run MCT and download the ISO it recommends for your system. Do *not* uncheck "Use the recommended options for this PC".
  2. Right-click on the downloaded ISO and choose "Mount." This assigns the ISO a drive letter.
  3. Run setup.exe from the ISO drive. This starts the 24H2 in-place upgrade.

(Your files, settings and applications will be preserved if you use the ISO recommended for your system by the Media Creation Tool.)

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Ramesh Srinivasan 88,100 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2025-06-09T15:43:24+00:00

    Sure. From admin PowerShell, run:

    Get-AppxPackage -allusers | Out-GridView -Passthru | Remove-AppXPackage -allusers
    

    It shows a grid view of the apps installed on the system.

    Multi-select the apps (using the Ctrl key) you want to remove, and click OK.

    You can then reinstall those apps from the Store.


    For the msconfig.exe error, I think the best option is to remain on Selective Startup mode for now. That's perfectly okay. The original boot configuration seems to be corrupted.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-06-09T14:56:41+00:00

    Thanks, that fixed MS To-Do. I have the same issue with a few other store apps though. Is there a way to run through them automatically, or should I follow this process for each that I find acting this way manually?

    Changing the default boot entry sometimes doesn't seem to save (clicking "apply" closes the window after a moment of processing, which suggests to me it's crashing?), and sometimes fails with this error:

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Ramesh Srinivasan 88,100 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2025-06-09T14:39:04+00:00

    Thanks for the update.

    Please run the following commands from admin PowerShell.

    bcdedit /export c:\bcd.bak
    
    get-appxpackage -allusers Microsoft.Todos | remove-appxpackage -allusers
    

    Then, select C:\Windows as the default boot entry in the following screen.

    https://filestore.community.support.microsoft.c...

    Delete the "Windows Rollback" entry.

    Enable "Make all boot settings permanent".

    Click OK.


    Reinstall Microsoft To do from the Store.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-06-09T14:30:25+00:00

    Thanks, I've done this and performed the in-place upgrade. After this, Settings works, however other built-in MS Store applications (such as Notepad and Paint and the Microsoft Store itself) still didn't, and Powershell from the right-click windows button has the same issue. I tried installing the Store with Get-AppxPackage but it failed:

    Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.WindowsStore | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"} 
    
    Add-AppxPackage : Cannot find path 'C:\AppXManifest.xml' because it does not exist. 
    
    At line:1 char:62 
    
    + ...  | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.I ... 
    
    +                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 
    
        + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (C:\AppXManifest.xml:String) [Add-AppxPackage], ItemNotFoundException 
    
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : PathNotFound,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManager.Commands.AddAppxPackageCommand 
    
    Add-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073D06, The package could not be installed because a higher 
    
    version of this package is already installed. 
    
    Windows cannot install package Microsoft.WindowsStore_22401.1400.6.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe because it has version 
    
    22401.1400.6.0. A higher version 22504.1401.19.0 of this package is already installed. 
    
    NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId] e39abf6a-d944-0003-c73c-9ce344d9db01 in the Event Log or use 
    
    the command line Get-AppPackageLog -ActivityID e39abf6a-d944-0003-c73c-9ce344d9db01 
    
    At line:1 char:62 
    
    + ...  | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.I ... 
    
    +                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 
    
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (C:\Program File...ppXManifest.xml:String) [Add-AppxPackage], Exception 
    
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : DeploymentError,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManager.Commands.AddAppxPackageCommand 
    

    After this I tried wsreset -i, which brought the store back. I also got Notepad, paint and the right-click windows button powershell back by uninstalling them in Add or Remove Programs, and then running wsreset again. However, Microsoft To-Do still comes up with the error "This app can't open | Check the Store for more info about Microsoft To Do." I guess this is because it isn't a built-in app? I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling it, but with no success. I'm also unable to open Minecraft Launcher, which iirc was installed through the XBOX app; it errors with "This app can't open | Minecraft Launcher can’t open because it can’t be found. The storage device might be missing or disconnected." I also can't uninstall it in add or remove programs, as it errors with:

    Image

    Seems like we're most of the way there though! The only other remaining potential issue that I'm aware of is in system configuration. On the general tab, "selective startup" is selected:

    Image

    On the boot tab, only Windows 11 shows, and it's default and current:

    Image

    If I switch to "Normal startup" on the General tab, the boot tab now looks like this:

    Image

    (Oddly, neither of these are shown as the "current OS").

    Thanks for all your great work so far!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments