Print Spooler Service won't stay running - Windows 11

Anonymous
2022-03-05T17:11:52+00:00

Is there a fix for the Windows 11 Print Spooler Service that I can't get to run? It was working fine until last Tuesday - then no printing. I've removed the printers, uninstalled/reinstalled the software, updated everything. Gone through the suggested steps but problem isn't resolved. I keep getting the following: "The local print spooler is not running. Please restart the spooler or restart the machine." I get this whether I try to print or run print properties.

I can print to the printer(s) from a Windows 10 machine (laptop) with no problems so I don't think it's the printer(s) (Canon Pro-300 and HP Office Jet).

In the control panel there is an Inkjet Printer that I cannot remove - says it's a Canon inkjet printer with Driver unavailable (I found a driver listed at one time - C:\Windows|system\32\drivers\ksthunk.sys). How can I remove this device?

Any suggestions before I start over.

Thanks.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-10-20T13:04:48+00:00

    I have got the same problem. All the solutions provided on the web seem to focus on the "Remote Procedure Call (RPC)" service which the Print Spooler relies on. I checked mine and the RPC works properly, so that I began to look into the other "HTTP Service" that supports Printer Spooler running.

    Open cmd as administrator, type the following:

    sc config http start=demand & net start http

    Press enter and go back to the Service window. Try start "Print Spooler" again. It works.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-10-20T17:28:38+00:00

    Interesting. Does the SC command make a permanent change (will it survive reboot)?

    I can't test this out though - as above, I managed to fix my instance of the problem by doing a deep de-install of all relevant printing components followed by reloading the Canon drivers.

    Can anybody else corroborate this solution?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. VARADHARAJAN K 9,726 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2022-10-20T17:43:36+00:00

    No , Only modifying the required particular service registry key for services is permanent,

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-10-21T01:27:16+00:00

    Oh yes. I restarted my PC this morning and the printer service keeps running.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-10-26T18:44:36+00:00

    I AM UNABLE TO START OR RESTART THE PRINT SPOOL IN MY WINDOWS 10. IT WILL START THEN STOPS. ANY SUGGESTIONS PLEASE

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments