Print Spooler Service won't stay running - Windows 11

Anonymous
2022-03-05T17:11:52+00:00

Is there a fix for the Windows 11 Print Spooler Service that I can't get to run? It was working fine until last Tuesday - then no printing. I've removed the printers, uninstalled/reinstalled the software, updated everything. Gone through the suggested steps but problem isn't resolved. I keep getting the following: "The local print spooler is not running. Please restart the spooler or restart the machine." I get this whether I try to print or run print properties.

I can print to the printer(s) from a Windows 10 machine (laptop) with no problems so I don't think it's the printer(s) (Canon Pro-300 and HP Office Jet).

In the control panel there is an Inkjet Printer that I cannot remove - says it's a Canon inkjet printer with Driver unavailable (I found a driver listed at one time - C:\Windows|system\32\drivers\ksthunk.sys). How can I remove this device?

Any suggestions before I start over.

Thanks.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-06-17T00:50:05+00:00

    That worked for me too with my Epson printer. Thank goodness, I was getting a tad ornery about this!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-06-20T04:59:30+00:00

    Didn't work for me still the same

    I did have a dotnet framework update after the 2022_06 update?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. VARADHARAJAN K 9,726 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2022-06-20T08:31:04+00:00

    You can remove that particular file with sys extension..

    1. Take the ownership of the file
    2. boot with windows 11 bootable pendrive ,
    3. find that file and delete it
    4. restart windows

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-06-26T04:25:34+00:00

    The initial joy turned to misery again soon after...

    My Brother printer HL-2270DW just could not complete the installation properly.

    MS came with another update KB5014668 which I installed just yesterday.

    Same, same. So I am back to waiting mode - wait for MS to do a better job...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-06-26T04:31:12+00:00

    To be more specific...

    Now the Print Spooler sometimes stayed running. (After a restart, I may have to Start the Service bcos it didn't get started)

    During installation of print driver full package, Print Spooler stayed in Running mode...

    Until a point it gave message : End Point Mapper cannot find the Endpoint Device...Then I noticed the Print Spooler stops.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments