Print Spooler Service won't stay running - Windows 11

Anonymous
2022-03-05T17:11:52+00:00

Is there a fix for the Windows 11 Print Spooler Service that I can't get to run? It was working fine until last Tuesday - then no printing. I've removed the printers, uninstalled/reinstalled the software, updated everything. Gone through the suggested steps but problem isn't resolved. I keep getting the following: "The local print spooler is not running. Please restart the spooler or restart the machine." I get this whether I try to print or run print properties.

I can print to the printer(s) from a Windows 10 machine (laptop) with no problems so I don't think it's the printer(s) (Canon Pro-300 and HP Office Jet).

In the control panel there is an Inkjet Printer that I cannot remove - says it's a Canon inkjet printer with Driver unavailable (I found a driver listed at one time - C:\Windows|system\32\drivers\ksthunk.sys). How can I remove this device?

Any suggestions before I start over.

Thanks.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-06-20T04:59:30+00:00

    Didn't work for me still the same

    I did have a dotnet framework update after the 2022_06 update?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-06-17T00:50:05+00:00

    That worked for me too with my Epson printer. Thank goodness, I was getting a tad ornery about this!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-06-16T07:26:28+00:00

    Interesting - thanks for this iDaRap. I'll check it out and report back.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-06-15T04:46:17+00:00

    I had this print issue, related to Printer Spooler, with my Brother printer for a few months.

    Just about I wanted to do some shouting here, Windows Update came with 2022-06 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 for x64-based Systems (KB5014697) this morning.

    I am able to print now.

    I hope the fix lasts.

    Thanks Microsoft, but you are kind of slow. :(

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-05-29T20:36:17+00:00

    I am having the issue with an Epson printer as well. Have done the originally suggested fix, but since reinstalling Windows 11 did not correct the problem, I am reluctant to go through the misery. Oddly enough my other Windows 11 printed just fine today. Microsoft please come up with a fix!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments