Windows 11 Windows Search not searching or Indexing PDFs

Anonymous
2022-03-08T18:08:05+00:00

Brand new Dell XPS laptop with Windows 11. It will not search text within PDF files. From looking on the internet seems like there are lots of problems Windows Search in Windows 11 which did not exist in Windows 10. Including not searching/indexing contents of PDF files, which is critical for me.

Has ANYONE been able to search within PDF files on Windows 11?

Please don't suggest re-indexing, have done 6 or 7 times. And, yes indexing settings are set to index contents of PDF files.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2022-12-29T09:22:06+00:00

PDF Indexing is working on Windows 11 (even with the standard PDF indexer), however, you can only search for file contents via File Explorer and not via Search / Taskbar Search.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-10-25T14:10:13+00:00

    I had understood that his issue was now fixed in the current version. I am still on a bet version (where searching has long worked correctly) but was about to switch to the non-beta version, understanding from the comments of others that searching within PDF and other files was now working in the current Windows 11 version. Is that not correct? Are there still search issues?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-10-25T13:58:29+00:00

    I just want to highlight this exact point, as I am experiencing the same problems: Any standard solutions which are recommended everywhere are just not working. It's a windows 11 specific problem and it's an absolut shame, that it is not even recognised.

    Yes, it is a shame that this problem is still not fixed.

    It is not even a Windows 11 specific problem as it is also occuring on Windows 10 after the March 22 Functional Update.

    The solution, however, is searching via "This PC" in File Explorer.

    In file (PDF) search is not working via Search Bar anymore. Not even in Windows 10 with the latest updates.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-09-09T12:06:48+00:00

    Here's where I left off on this
    1.) I use Foxit Phantom Business 8.3.12.47136 from 2016
    2.) Foxit Phantom Business 8 doesn't get anymore updates
    3.) Windows keeps getting updates
    4.) Windows broke Foxit Phantom Business 8

    I don't know why Foxit won't give me that conclusion.
    They just say they will keep monitoring the issue.

    Conclusion: You have to fix it yourself

    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

    Win 10 Indexing Options ... Foxit PDF Filter ... Not indexing contents of PDF files - PDF Forum | Foxit Software . . . https://forums.foxitsoftware.com/forum/portable-document-format-pdf-tools/foxit-phantompdf/190005-win-10-indexing-options-foxit-pdf-filter-not-indexing-contents-of-pdf-files

    08-09-2022, 01:27 AM
    . . . since this tool is out of maintenance, I'm afraid that we cannot do more on it . . .

    That had not occurred to me:

    07/19/16 . . . I upgraded from Phantom 7 Business to Phantom 8 . . . Today, I'm currently using Foxit Phantom Business 8.3.12.47136 . . . I don't think it gets anymore updates

    I would think that the "Foxit PDF Filter" would just keep working . . . but maybe it no longer does, due to:
    1.) Windows updates, and
    2.) No more updates from Foxit

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-09-09T03:20:02+00:00

    windows should search MS office and PDF files natively without any external add ins/ ifilters. It has done that for years. It does that on Windows 11 beta, which I am still on. It did not do that for a long time in non-Beta windows 11, but I think it now does so, although, because I am still on beta, I am not sure

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments