Where can I place very large files or folders to PREVENT them from uploading/syncing to OneDrive?

Anonymous
2022-02-25T15:32:13+00:00

I have a very low bandwidth Internet connection, which cannot at this time be improved. With Files On-Demand sending most of the files and folders on my new Windows 11 PC to OneDrive, large files such as Quicken.qdf and my Outlook PST file never stop uploading. They are clogging up the works for everyone using this network.

I have now managed to copy my Quicken file because it finally finished uploading, and I've put it temporarily on an external hard drive. Where can I place it on my PC so that it won't start uploading to OneDrive again?

A related problem, because I use Outlook ten or twelve hours a day for my work, is that my PST file never STOPS uploading. Windows won't let me cut and paste the file to my external hard drive until it stops uploading. But it never does.

At my wits' end!

VeazyT

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2022-02-27T17:36:02+00:00

Here's the derailed guide on how to set the Outlook file location:

https://www.slipstick.com/outlook/config/to-mov...


Disclaimer:

This reply contains non-Microsoft websites. The page(s) appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2022-02-27T04:08:46+00:00

Right you right-clicking (like the right hand side button of the mouse) only once, not twice, we need that context menu which appears when you right click on any file on Windows or anywhere in space in My Computer.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-02-26T16:21:26+00:00

    Thank you again, Bhavik, for trying!

    1. The unbelievable fact of the matter is that the troubleshooting folders that exist when I go to Settings > Account > Choose Folders (see snip below) are NOWHERE TO BE FOUND through File Explorer in either This PC > Documents OR under Windows-SSD (C:) > Documents. One can see them only at OneDrive > Settings > Account > Choose Folders. So there's apparently no way for me to transfer my large file into that folder without putting it on OneDrive.
    2. I do not want my Outlook.pst to save to OneDrive. Unfortunately, that is a default setting in Windows 11--i.e., that Outlook settings etc. save to OneDrive. I would never have chosen that setting. And I'm tearing my hair out now trying to get my Outlook Profile.pst back onto my device!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-02-26T13:03:43+00:00

    Your comment: "Under Settings > Account > Choose Folders, there is also another folder that was there before called New Test Folder for Troubleshooting. It is unchecked for syncing. Maybe that folder would be safe?"

    Answer: Yes, it would be safe. If that's unchecked for syncing then it will not upload any content to OneDrive from this folder.

    Your comment: "Archive.pst is also uploading on the list even though I removed it from Documents > Outlook Files this morning after it had completely downloaded from OneDrive and put it on my external hard drive D:."

    Answer: May be it was set in past, but since this is Outlook Data File, I would not recommend to have it generated to OneDrive folder as Outlook file generation process and OneDrive syncing process can have some conflict. Hence please remove that Outlook Data File folder from list if it is checked. And check your PST file generation logic and see the path where it is generating it.

    Read the tip on this page:

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/crea...

    Let me know if you need any further assistance, I'll be glad to assist.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-02-26T12:57:04+00:00

    Thanks so much again, jadz! Instead of a normal Drive C:, under This PC in File Explorer I have Windows-SSD (C:), which is identified as "Local Disk." From there I was able to create a new folder under my username.

    When I then right-click on the OneDrive icon > Settings > Account and click Choose Folders, the new folder is not on the list. Does that mean it would be safe to put my large files in (whenever they've completely downloaded)?

    Under Settings > Account > Choose Folders, there is also another folder that was there before called New Test Folder for Troubleshooting. It is unchecked for syncing. Maybe that folder would be safe?

    When I left-click on the OneDrive taskbar icon, I see my Outlook Profile.pst uploading AND downloading, very slowly, with almost 14 GB to go in both instances. My Outlook program has not been opened/used for more than 12 hours.

    Archive.pst is also uploading on the list even though I removed it from Documents > Outlook Files this morning after it had completely downloaded from OneDrive and put it on my external hard drive D:.

    Discouraged but grateful for your help,

    Veazy

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments