Hi,
I have learned a few new things this morning, or at least refreshed my memory..
I was able to get any of the three images I created to Recover to a different drive.. Unlike your's, they would appear, but would fail with various errors..
I have a desktop machine with multiple drives, and that seems to be the problem.. The images would recover to the original drive but not any other.. After unhooking all other drives except for the Windows drive, all three images worked on the same drives that had been failing..
Another thing I discovered, and maybe PCR can comment better on this.. I originally created an image to a USB HDD to duplicate your issue.. I then copied that image to a internal drive after which both appeared and worked..
This morning I attempted to recover the image I had copied to the internal drive and it did not appear..
It turns out that after hooking up the USB HDD with the original image, the copy also was available.. It seems there is some type of link between the original and copy that requires the original to be available for the copy to appear..
This really seems to defeat the purpose of having a copy, but that is typical of the finicky stuff the Backup + Restore does..
So... To be safe, I would suggest that anything you do as you suggested to PCR, that you verify that the copy will work WITHOUT the original attached before deleting the original..
Since you state that your images are never modified after creation, I am thinking that there is still something going on with Permissions.. Not because of changes you made, but because of the formatting of individual partitions possibly being done on different machines.. I am just guessing here, but that may be confusing the Recovery Process in a similar fashion as my multiple drives did..
I think you mentioned using a Microsoft Account.. This in itself can cause problems with permissions as they seem to act differently with a Microsoft Account than they do with a more standard Local Account.. Changing that at this point would likely be of little benefit..
Just something to think about.. PCR seems to have deeper knowledge as to the workings of the Backup + Restore than I, so maybe this will give him some possible ideas as to a solution or workaround.. We have worked on issues like this together previously..