Oh No. I just noticed that it reset me back to Windows 10 1607 version!
Windows 10 will not update anymore; stuck in 1909
TLDR: Update page shows "Your device is missing important security and quality fixes." for the last one week. It is still in Version 1909 Build 18363.1556.
Long story: It has been promising Feature update 2004 for quite a long time but did not really deliver. However, I had been getting regular security and quality minor updates. Around a month ago, when I started getting the end of service notifications for 1909 I tried to force updates by hitting "Check for updates" and it tried doing a huge download for 20H2. I think after a long installation process it aborted around 45% and rolled back. Tried a couple of times and the same result.
Now, I did a few methods suggested in various forums and Microsoft support sites like running update troubleshooter, a scan, running commands as administrator, setting right a few registry entries etc. I even rolled the last cumulative update for 1909 KB5003169 and it got reinstalled on the next reboot but the "Your device is missing important security and quality fixes." returned.
I am worried because I will be missing out important security updates given that 1909 has reached the end of service.
UPDATE: The error code against the update 20H2 update is given as 0xC1900101
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
43 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2021-06-05T21:22:24+00:00 -
Anonymous
2021-06-05T21:19:41+00:00 Sumit and other Volunteers who helped me through this,
This method worked after about 100 hours of trying out so many methods. But there are some catches though.
I did not intend to a clean install but Windows showed some message to the effect that the Windows installation location is not proper and hence will only do a clean install. Having fought this problem for so long and also because I had backed up my data I clicked ok.
The installation went ok and I am left with a clean install of Windows now that is quite snappy though the Disk shows 100% in Task Manager.!
I did find my old files in Windows.old folder. It requires an Administrator access, which I gave but it does not open at all. I would prefer to copy the 100 GB something files from the existing hard disk rather than external hard disk. Is there a trick to do this?
Despite these two nuisances, I am happy overall. Thank you all again.
-
Sumit 44,436 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator2021-05-29T07:50:12+00:00 No, that is unrelated. These are WU folders that you renamed, and they are created automatically. A reset failure due to Media is a common problem, most likely when the Recovery Image is corrupt.
How about trying this?
Start fresh with a clean installation of Windows 10 (microsoft.com)
-
Anonymous
2021-05-29T05:41:21+00:00 I mean, I wonder if this is making Windows not do fresh start.
net stop bits net stop wuauserv ren %systemroot%\softwaredistribution softwaredistribution.bak ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.bak net start bits net start wuauserv If so, how to get the names back.?
-
Anonymous
2021-05-29T05:29:26+00:00 I just tried the fresh restart method. Unfortunately, I had renamed my distribution files, I think with the ren command, one of the many methods suggested for this problem and windows says it cannot find the installation media.
Would you know how I can reset to the old path?