I have a corrupted profile after a recent update. Can somebody help me figure out how to do a repair install?

Anonymous
2021-04-28T03:30:43+00:00

Fast traslate

Icon translate

I had previously requested help, but I had trouble getting assistance locally. I need to do a repair install. All files are read only, and I need to use a bootable media. I have heard that sandisk usb drives may require to be partitioned, and I do not have all the links except in one of these links:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-forced-an-update-didnt-recognize-my/9cf90e3a-8008-4538-8bd2-debf7d6049b3

or 

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-update-crashes-windows-and-previous-update/0802d582-a89e-4f91-ae7a-1b89e8d962a3

I have to try to do the repair install, so I can back up all of my files. but I need to figure out how to change all read-only files so I can back them up.

Also, there is a new update, but I need to figure out if I should wait to update it until after I fix my profile. Right now, it is on a metered connection.

Please advise.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-04-30T05:54:44+00:00

    If you don't have your files backed up and they will not copy due to a Read Only error then try copying them out from the Command Prompt at boot (first link) using the method in second link below:
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2880-open-c...
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

    Then you can proceed with the other steps for fixing a Temp Account.

    I will give you simple steps to back up your files once we get this problem fixed.

    Is the same bootable media that would be used for repairing the main account? I know that this main account seems to have removed the administrator option, and there is a fishy thing that it won't let me view some system menu and wants to use an app to do so, and there are some prompts that I currently have "okay" grayed out currently in the temp account.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-04-30T00:52:52+00:00

    If you don't have your files backed up and they will not copy due to a Read Only error then try copying them out from the Command Prompt at boot (first link) using the method in second link below:

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2880-open-c...

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

    Then you can proceed with the other steps for fixing a Temp Account.

    I will give you simple steps to back up your files once we get this problem fixed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-04-30T00:25:37+00:00

    Joshua, if the issue is a Temporary Account then I need to give you the steps to fix that first:

    Some times if the User account gets corrupted and cannot start, Windows will sign into a temporary account. A Temp Account cannot be used as a normal account so do not set it up or copy files into it because at any restart it might decide to start into your old Account. I'll give you everything that can be done to repair or replace your account, based on helping others get through it.

    1. Try restarting the PC a few times to see if it can sign into your account.
    2. Check at C:\Users if you can see your old account with its files intact. If not check at C:\Windows.old to see if files were archived there during a version install that fails.

    If so copy the files out externally so they are safe. Files should always be backed up if you value them at all. You can copy or drag them to an external USB flash or hard drive.

    1. From the temp account try to repair the old account using one of these methods:
      https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/48012-fix-y...
      https://winaero.com/blog/windows-10-youve-been-...
      https://www.thewindowsclub.com/corrupted-user-p... (Avoid ad links which intrude into editorial copy, especially avoid Restoro ad)
      https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/fix...
    2. If not then you can try to create a new Local Administrator Account to see how it works: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for....
      https://www.windowscentral.com/how-change-user-...
    3. To replace or repair the account first enable the built-in Hidden Administrator from the sign in screen:
      https://www.isumsoft.com/it/enable-hidden-admin... (Avoid the password reset link at the end of the editorial copy)

    This requires accessing the Command Prompt using bootable media which is the only method that doesn't require a password. If you don't want to do that then you can try now to Reset Windows 10 from the Sign in Screen as shown in this video:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zonjyd2L_GQ

    1. To proceed to replace or repair the old account go to another PC to create bootable media following the steps toward the bottom of the download page here in the section "Using the tool to create installation media:"
      https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/software-downlo... Uncheck the box for Recommended Settings to choose the exact version and bit rate for the target PC only.

    Insert media, boot it by powering up PC while pressing the BIOS Boot Menu Key: https://www.sysnative.com/forums/hardware-tutor...

    If the media won't boot you may need to enter BIOS/UEFI Setup (pressing key given in chart in link above) to turn off Fast Boot or Fast Startup first.

    Choose the boot device as a UEFI device if offered, on second screen choose Repair Your Computer, then Advanced Troubleshoot Options to open Command Prompt to enable the built-in Hidden Administrator following https://www.isumsoft.com/it/enable-hidden-admin...

    1. Sign into the now unhidden built-in Administrator account leaving password box blank, then create a new Local Admin account to replace yours:
      https://www.isumsoft.com/windows-10/3-ways-to-c...
      http://www.windowscentral.com/how-change-user-a...
    2. Sign into the new account, test it works and resolves the problem(s), if so you can move your files over at C:\Users.
    3. You can also try to repair the old Account by running a Repair Install by running the media you created earlier from Windows as shown here: https://www.yourwindowsguide.com/2016/06/how-to.... This reinstalls Windows while saving your files and apps in place; takes about an hour, resolves most problems. It also brings it to the latest version by the most stable method.
    4. If it doesn't fix the old account, when ready you can delete the old account by one of these methods:
      https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5464-delete...
    5. Then if desired change it to a MS Account: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5375-switch...
    6. And if all that fails from bootable media choose Install Now, then Custom Install, then at the drive selection screen delete all partitions down to Unallocated Space to get it cleanest, click Next to let it create needed partitions and start install - this makes it foolproof.

    Everything needed to get the best possible Clean Install is here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki.... It is a better install than any amount of money can buy and a great learning experience that will make you the master of your PC because you will learn what works best and how to apply it with your own hands.

    If you have files that aren't backed up you can use the same bootable media to try to rescue your files using these methods: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

    I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and keep me posted. If you will wait to choose if I solved your problem, I will keep working with you until it's resolved.

    ________________________________________________________
    Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

    Well, I know that I cannot back up anything until I can change the read only files to regular files. I cannot use the downloadable file that overwrites that aspect, nor use administrator privileges within the temp account. Can repairing the old account fix this problem?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-04-29T17:07:38+00:00

    Joshua, if the issue is a Temporary Account then I need to give you the steps to fix that first:

    Some times if the User account gets corrupted and cannot start, Windows will sign into a temporary account. A Temp Account cannot be used as a normal account so do not set it up or copy files into it because at any restart it might decide to start into your old Account. I'll give you everything that can be done to repair or replace your account, based on helping others get through it.

    1. Try restarting the PC a few times to see if it can sign into your account.
    2. Check at C:\Users if you can see your old account with its files intact. If not check at C:\Windows.old to see if files were archived there during a version install that fails.

    If so copy the files out externally so they are safe. Files should always be backed up if you value them at all. You can copy or drag them to an external USB flash or hard drive.

    1. From the temp account try to repair the old account using one of these methods:

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/48012-fix-y...

    https://winaero.com/blog/windows-10-youve-been-...

    https://www.thewindowsclub.com/corrupted-user-p... (Avoid ad links which intrude into editorial copy, especially avoid Restoro ad)

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/fix...

    1. If not then you can try to create a new Local Administrator Account to see how it works: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for....

    https://www.windowscentral.com/how-change-user-...

    1. To replace or repair the account first enable the built-in Hidden Administrator from the sign in screen:

    https://www.isumsoft.com/it/enable-hidden-admin... (Avoid the password reset link at the end of the editorial copy)

    This requires accessing the Command Prompt using bootable media which is the only method that doesn't require a password. If you don't want to do that then you can try now to Reset Windows 10 from the Sign in Screen as shown in this video:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zonjyd2L_GQ

    1. To proceed to replace or repair the old account go to another PC to create bootable media following the steps toward the bottom of the download page here in the section "Using the tool to create installation media:"

    https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/software-downlo... Uncheck the box for Recommended Settings to choose the exact version and bit rate for the target PC only.

    Insert media, boot it by powering up PC while pressing the BIOS Boot Menu Key: https://www.sysnative.com/forums/hardware-tutor...

    If the media won't boot you may need to enter BIOS/UEFI Setup (pressing key given in chart in link above) to turn off Fast Boot or Fast Startup first.

    Choose the boot device as a UEFI device if offered, on second screen choose Repair Your Computer, then Advanced Troubleshoot Options to open Command Prompt to enable the built-in Hidden Administrator following https://www.isumsoft.com/it/enable-hidden-admin...

    1. Sign into the now unhidden built-in Administrator account leaving password box blank, then create a new Local Admin account to replace yours:

    https://www.isumsoft.com/windows-10/3-ways-to-c...

    http://www.windowscentral.com/how-change-user-a...

    1. Sign into the new account, test it works and resolves the problem(s), if so you can move your files over at C:\Users.
    2. You can also try to repair the old Account by running a Repair Install by running the media you created earlier from Windows as shown here: https://www.yourwindowsguide.com/2016/06/how-to.... This reinstalls Windows while saving your files and apps in place; takes about an hour, resolves most problems. It also brings it to the latest version by the most stable method.
    3. If it doesn't fix the old account, when ready you can delete the old account by one of these methods:

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5464-delete...

    1. Then if desired change it to a MS Account: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5375-switch...
    2. And if all that fails from bootable media choose Install Now, then Custom Install, then at the drive selection screen delete all partitions down to Unallocated Space to get it cleanest, click Next to let it create needed partitions and start install - this makes it foolproof.

    Everything needed to get the best possible Clean Install is here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki.... It is a better install than any amount of money can buy and a great learning experience that will make you the master of your PC because you will learn what works best and how to apply it with your own hands.

    If you have files that aren't backed up you can use the same bootable media to try to rescue your files using these methods: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

    I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and keep me posted. If you will wait to choose if I solved your problem, I will keep working with you until it's resolved.

    ________________________________________________________

    Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-04-29T15:59:40+00:00

    If you created a new User account to replace the old one and it is working fine, then you do not need to run a Repair Install unless you want to try to fix the old account. You've already established the problem is a corrupted account, and you've replaced it. Some people in this circumstance don't want to let go of their old account so easily, so I offer the option to try to repair it by the best method known to do this. It should not affect your new account in any way and has about a 50% chance of repairing the old account. That's the only reason I'd run it if your install itself is not corrupted which you have not indicated.

    I haven't actually replaced it yet. I have a temporary account due to the corrupted profile.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments