I have a corrupted profile after a recent update. Can somebody help me figure out how to do a repair install?

Anonymous
2021-04-28T03:30:43+00:00

Fast traslate

Icon translate

I had previously requested help, but I had trouble getting assistance locally. I need to do a repair install. All files are read only, and I need to use a bootable media. I have heard that sandisk usb drives may require to be partitioned, and I do not have all the links except in one of these links:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-forced-an-update-didnt-recognize-my/9cf90e3a-8008-4538-8bd2-debf7d6049b3

or 

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-update-crashes-windows-and-previous-update/0802d582-a89e-4f91-ae7a-1b89e8d962a3

I have to try to do the repair install, so I can back up all of my files. but I need to figure out how to change all read-only files so I can back them up.

Also, there is a new update, but I need to figure out if I should wait to update it until after I fix my profile. Right now, it is on a metered connection.

Please advise.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-04-28T18:41:12+00:00

    If you created a new User account to replace the old one and it is working fine, then you do not need to run a Repair Install unless you want to try to fix the old account. You've already established the problem is a corrupted account, and you've replaced it. Some people in this circumstance don't want to let go of their old account so easily, so I offer the option to try to repair it by the best method known to do this. It should not affect your new account in any way and has about a 50% chance of repairing the old account. That's the only reason I'd run it if your install itself is not corrupted which you have not indicated.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-04-28T18:19:17+00:00

    Joshua, My apologies that the CNET article about Read Only issue having a solution has been removed and the link is no longer valid. I do appreciate getting the heads up about this. I try to keep tutorials up to date but have more than 10,000 of them to maintain.

    The Media can also be used to Update Windows version by the most stable method. So using the latest media will bring it up to date, although you may have a few updates come through afterwards so I'd look out for them.

    Will it repair and update windows at the same time? I do not want it to corrupt the new profile.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-04-28T05:03:01+00:00

    Joshua, My apologies that the CNET article about Read Only issue having a solution has been removed and the link is no longer valid. I do appreciate getting the heads up about this. I try to keep tutorials up to date but have more than 10,000 of them to maintain.

    The Media can also be used to Update Windows version by the most stable method. So using the latest media will bring it up to date, although you may have a few updates come through afterwards so I'd look out for them.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-04-28T04:57:57+00:00

    HI Joshua. I'm Greg, an Independent Advisor.

    To understand better and try to fix Read Only:
    https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/windows...
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/why-di...
    https://www.easeus.com/storage-media-recovery/f...

    This can also mean a corrupted account.

    Test for account corruption by creating a new Admin Local Account in Settings > Accounts > Family & Other People > Other People, sign into it, see if problem persists:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/226540/how-to-create-a...
    http://www.windowscentral.com/how-change-user-a...

    If you're blocked from creating a new account, try enabling the built=in hidden Administrator account used only in emergencies, by one of these methods:
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2969-enable... then sign into it leaving the password box blank, to create the new account as above.

    If the problem goes away move your files over, test all programs run correctly or reinstall.

    Then when ready you can delete the old account in the same place as above, and convert the new account to your MS account if desired:
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5464-delete...
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5375-switch...

    You can also try repairing the account or install using a fresh set of installation files running a Repair Install as shown here: https://www.yourwindowsguide.com/2016/06/how-to...

    If nothing else works then I would do a gold standard Clean Install in this link which compiles the best possible Install of Windows which will stay that way as long as you stick with the tools and methods given, has zero reported problems, and is better than any amount of money could buy: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

    To create bootable Windows 10 Installation Media (on another PC if necessary) install Media Creation tool and follow the steps toward the bottom of the download page here in the section "Using the tool to create installation media:"
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/software-downlo.... You DO NOT partition the flash stick. Back up the flash stick and then delete it in Explore or Disk Mgmt before letting the MCT do everything else.

    Insert media, boot it by powering up PC while pressing the BIOS Boot Menu Key for your PC maker given in this chart: https://www.sysnative.com/forums/hardware-tutor...

    If the media won't boot you may need to enter BIOS/UEFI Setup (pressing key given in chart in link above) to turn off Fast Boot or Fast Startup first.

    Choose the boot device as a UEFI device if offered, then on second screen choose Install Now, then Custom Install, then at the drive selection screen delete all partitions down to Unallocated Space to get it cleanest, select the Unallocated Space, click Next to let it create and format the needed partitions and start install - this makes it foolproof.

    There is a step to rescue your files first using the booted media if you don't have them backed up: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

    You will get and keep the best possible install to the exact extent you stick with the steps, tools and methods in the linked tutorial. It's a great learning experience that will make you the master of your PC because you will learn everything that works best and how to apply it with your own hands.

    I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and let us know how it goes. I will keep working with you until it's resolved.

    ________________________________________________________
    Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

    Well, I see a lot of useful links (except for the first three). The first one is basically a bunch of ads. The other two do not apply. I am pretty sure it is a corrupted account and I will need to use a built in administrator account. However, I wonder if I need to update Windows before I create the bootable media. Do I need to do that? The link to create the bootable media also says to update Windows.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-04-28T04:18:02+00:00

    HI Joshua. I'm Greg, an Independent Advisor.

    To understand better and try to fix Read Only:

     https://support.office.com/en-us/article/why-di...

    https://www.easeus.com/storage-media-recovery/f...

    This can also mean a corrupted account.

    Test for account corruption by creating a new Admin Local Account in Settings > Accounts > Family & Other People > Other People, sign into it, see if problem persists:

    http://www.howtogeek.com/226540/how-to-create-a...

    http://www.windowscentral.com/how-change-user-a...

    If you're blocked from creating a new account, try enabling the built=in hidden Administrator account used only in emergencies, by one of these methods:

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2969-enable... then sign into it leaving the password box blank, to create the new account as above.

    If the problem goes away move your files over, test all programs run correctly or reinstall.

    Then when ready you can delete the old account in the same place as above, and convert the new account to your MS account if desired:

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5464-delete...

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5375-switch...

    You can also try repairing the account or install using a fresh set of installation files running a Repair Install as shown here: https://www.yourwindowsguide.com/2016/06/how-to...

    If nothing else works then I would do a gold standard Clean Install in this link which compiles the best possible Install of Windows which will stay that way as long as you stick with the tools and methods given, has zero reported problems, and is better than any amount of money could buy: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

    To create bootable Windows 10 Installation Media (on another PC if necessary) install Media Creation tool and follow the steps toward the bottom of the download page here in the section "Using the tool to create installation media:"

    https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/software-downlo.... You DO NOT partition the flash stick. Back up the flash stick and then delete it in Explore or Disk Mgmt before letting the MCT do everything else.

    Insert media, boot it by powering up PC while pressing the BIOS Boot Menu Key for your PC maker given in this chart: https://www.sysnative.com/forums/hardware-tutor...

    If the media won't boot you may need to enter BIOS/UEFI Setup (pressing key given in chart in link above) to turn off Fast Boot or Fast Startup first.

    Choose the boot device as a UEFI device if offered, then on second screen choose Install Now, then Custom Install, then at the drive selection screen delete all partitions down to Unallocated Space to get it cleanest, select the Unallocated Space, click Next to let it create and format the needed partitions and start install - this makes it foolproof.

    There is a step to rescue your files first using the booted media if you don't have them backed up: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

    You will get and keep the best possible install to the exact extent you stick with the steps, tools and methods in the linked tutorial. It's a great learning experience that will make you the master of your PC because you will learn everything that works best and how to apply it with your own hands.

    I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and let us know how it goes. I will keep working with you until it's resolved.

    ________________________________________________________

    Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments